Older flexible internal brake line expansion

• VenturaRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2012 00:36 #509345 by VenturaRider
Older flexible internal brake line expansion was created by VenturaRider
I know back in the day when I was working on cars I have run across rubber brake flex lines that had internally expanded and caused the front disc brakes to not release fully or drag. Are older motorcycle rubber flexible brake lines prone to this also?

Thanx in advance.

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2012 10:03 #509381 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Older flexible internal brake line expansion
I have had this to happen on the rear brake line before and would think the front could do it also. Most times when the front seems like it won't relese is because the calipers had moisture in them from setting and the moisture boils when the brakes are applied causing them to lock up.

I always carry a wrench to relese the pressure when I am trying out a new bike.

It is hard to determine if the inner liner is collapsed with a air hose. I sometimes reverse the hose on a master cylinder to comfirm the line is collapsed. There could be a blockage that will come out if reversed. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
13 Mar 2012 10:36 #509385 by 650ed
I had that exact problem on a 1979 Chevy Caprice; but never on my bike. I still have all the original brake lines on my '77 KZ650-C1 (rear disk, dual front disk) and they have never (yet) caused me any problems. I flush and refresh brake fluid every 2 years. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)