Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake relining 29 May 2006 17:01 #50792

• ambergrismooon
  • ambergrismooon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
My bro just got a set of used Lester Mags for his kz750. Had a set of Bridgestones put on and a new set of shoes for the rear, Prob is the adjuster is all the way out. It seems the hub lining is worn to extreme. The cam is almost at 90 and there is no more adjustment. Now somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall brake hub relining. This could also be a brain fart on my part. We did try the old shoes and it was worse. Pretty much useless. Rims look nice it would be a shame to ditch them. If you have the same BF as me where would you start looking for such a service? I don't have a big enough set of calipers to measure the hubs. BTW they reportedly came off a KZ750. Milage unknown. I'm stumped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake relining 29 May 2006 17:19 #50797

• wireman
  • Visitor
see if you can find a heavy truck repair shop,sometimes they reline brakes or know where to get them done.;)

Brake relining 29 May 2006 18:42 #50811

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Take a close look at the hub, if the surface is in good shape then see if you can pull the brake arm off the splined shaft and rotate it to a usable position.
I don't know which KZ750 you have but I know that can be done on a KZ750 twin with rear drum brake.
KD9JUR

Brake relining 29 May 2006 19:23 #50822

• ambergrismooon
  • ambergrismooon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Steel thats the problem. Turning the arm by hand the cam is almost full on and about to turn fully around. It wouldn't matter what position where I put the arm on the spline cause the cam is about to overide. The hub linings have to be worn although this is the first time I have ever ran across this. Must be some miles on this hub. Must have been turned quite a few times. Proberbly scored and turned a lot. They look good tho. Haven't given up on them yet. Gonna call a few places like Wireman suggested.

Brake relining 29 May 2006 19:37 #50826

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Sounds like a job for custom re-lined brake *shoes*.

The big issue is to make the effective I.D. of the hub smaller, and there's only two ways to do it - add material to the hub - "metallizing", which is a specialty process and not cheap, or make the brake shoe take up the difference.

Re-lined brake shoes were once a lot more common than they are now. A quick check around the net shows it's still a process in use in England, and might ne worth a gander at some of the sites there.

Seems a possibility; but it's require drilling and riveting new custom shoe blanks on the originals. Bears a bit of homework into cost/benefit results of doing that vs. hunting up a new set of rims...

Brake relining 29 May 2006 22:32 #50862

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
More of my off the wall thinking :)

I am reasonably certain the brake shoes do not ride on aluminum, it's probably either an iron or steel band inside the drum that forms the braking surface, and it's probably an interference fit inside the hub. Maybe take it to a local machine shop and ask them if they could make and install a new one?
Cost may be prohibitive though.
KD9JUR

• Page: