Need help with kz550 front brake cylinder please

More
26 Feb 2012 16:27 #506466 by iambrian101
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 1983 kz550 ltd that needed a new front brake master cylinder. The guy I bought it from sold it to me with the new cylinder and a brake lever. I got it on to the handle bar of the bike. My problem comes in the brake line itself. The new cylinder has a brake line already attached but its only about a foot long, and I don't think it will come off the cylinder without breaking. The old line is still on the brake caliper itself, and is long enough to reach the new cylinder. BUT. They both have those metal rings clamped onto the ends that allow the brake fluid to pass, and I don't think I can connect them. I can't find anything in the manual either. Anyone have any Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2012 18:07 #506511 by faffi
Not quite sure I understand what you're asking, but you need to undo the banjo bolt and remove the short hose. Bolt the pump to your handlebar first so that you get good leverage on the bolt. If it feels like it's stuck, you can try to tighten the bolt first a hint to break it free.

Once the banjo is out and the short hose dismissed, you can attach the hose on your bike. Use new copper or aluminium seals for the hose where the banjo goes through to prevent leaks and torque to specification.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Feb 2012 18:10 #506515 by mark1122
faffi is right .
the short hose will come off. it may just be tight.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
26 Feb 2012 22:18 #506585 by iambrian101
Replied by iambrian101 on topic Need help with kz550 front brake cylinder please
Yep, I got it off, I was just being a sissy because I broke the old one trying to get it off, but the new one is on there! Thanks guys