Put on a ZX12 front brake master cylinder

More
19 Feb 2012 21:07 #505154 by fordtruck
I searched through the archives recently looking for people who had replaced their KZ1000 front brake master cylinder with something other than stock. Found some good info and noticed a few people asking what other cylinders would work. So, I thought I would post what I did.

My bike had the trapezoid shaped brake master cylinder. It functioned fine, but leaked between the plastic reservoir and the body. I took it apart a couple of years ago and replaced the o-ring. While it was apart I painted it. It leaked even with the new o-ring. The brake fluid ate all of the paint off.

I looked at buying the new brake master cylinders that are on Ebay. I didn't really care for them because they are gray. Plus I wasn't sure if rebuild kits are available for them. I ended up buying a master cylinder from a 2000 ZX12. It has a 5/8" bore and is for 7/8" handlebars. I think it looks neat with the adjustable lever too. It works great. The brakes feel just like they did with the old one. Maybe this will help someone who is thinking of changing theirs.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2012 21:29 #505156 by dsmking
Replied by dsmking on topic Put on a ZX12 front brake master cylinder
From what I found any modern sportbike master will work, I used one off of an 01 sv650 with stainless lines, worked awsome, the feel is almost better than my 07 gsxr 750, and only cost $60. Very pleased.

live fast die young.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Feb 2012 23:48 #505178 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Put on a ZX12 front brake master cylinder
almost any modern 1 will work. i use a zx9, its the same as the zx12. 1 thing to look for is 1 with a mirror bracket. or u will need to replace the bar clamp with a mirror type. thats what i just had to do . i'm switching from a zx9 to a rc51.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)