to buy or not to buy? 1978 kz650C

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
17 Feb 2012 21:55 #504757 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic to buy or not to buy? 1978 kz650C
The drums will stop you. But in racing conditions disk is the way to go, the disk will dissipate the heat better than a drum for sure, drums get heated and are done.

When the disks first were put on the Yamaha RD's they were on the same side (single front, single rear) the bike would actually pull in that direction under heavy braking, but it was better than earlier years with the drum. ;)

Speaking of drum brakes my 71 Chevelle was an old 6 cylinder car that had drums all the way around, it was hairy stopping her with a small block in it. :silly:

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2012 22:00 #504759 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic to buy or not to buy? 1978 kz650C

Kawickrice wrote: The drums will stop you. But in racing conditions disk is the way to go, the disk will dissipate the heat better than a drum for sure, drums get heated and are done.

When the disks first were put on the Yamaha RD's they were on the same side (single front, single rear) the bike would actually pull in that direction under heavy braking, but it was better than earlier years with the drum. ;)

Speaking of drum brakes my 71 Chevelle was an old 6 cylinder car that had drums all the way around, it was hairy stopping her with a small block in it. :silly:

How about a Hemi 'Cuda with non-boosted hydraulic drums all the way around. HANG ON!!! :woohoo:

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
17 Feb 2012 22:05 #504761 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic to buy or not to buy? 1978 kz650C

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

Kawickrice wrote: The drums will stop you. But in racing conditions disk is the way to go, the disk will dissipate the heat better than a drum for sure, drums get heated and are done.

How about a Hemi 'Cuda with non-boosted hydraulic drums all the way around. HANG ON!!! :woohoo:

Thats what Im talking about. :woohoo:

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
17 Feb 2012 23:04 #504774 by jmcmillan40
Replied by jmcmillan40 on topic to buy or not to buy? 1978 kz650C
well i just like the look of disk also remember that the rim on mine is a drum and spokes-
so i want mags and disk, but i do have a rear drum mag wheel.
so if i wanted to keep drums that would be easy.

so i baught the bike anyhow becuase its easy to sell whatever bike i dont keep.

i cant emagine a rear drum mag setup is much heavyer than disk mag.

i have alot of mods so i defantly want to keep them on whatever bike i choose
i also have a kz750 swing arm-mag-tire complete but it is a 16in like the sr, which i like its a way fatter tire.

it looks like its a bolt on?

so i think i might go with the kz650c mag and duel disk up front-a kz750 swing and rim in rear
i would use kz650c bike becuase it has the brake rear master setup. then i will put all my mods on it.

then buy a wire wheel for front of 650b and sell.

also i have the fork mount purch-handles for my kz, whith those fork were do they mount?
do you raise up the fork past the top triple, or under the top triple seams like it would hit the tank? or lower the front end 2 inches?

also i scored on some parts off a 1993 gsxr 750- front and rear tires-rims-fork-triple t-swing arm-forks- fork purch-handles-rear mono shok and alot more.

what do you think will the inverted forks - front end work on that kz650?