Replacing Shocks with Tie Rods

More
02 Feb 2012 11:26 #501533 by Jdee
Replacing Shocks with Tie Rods was created by Jdee
Hey all,

I have an '82 KZ550 as my project for winter and have been going at it for a bit. I'm done with most of the brake down and starting to do some of my alterations and get ready for new bars, seat, etc.

I would like to replace the stock shocks with some slightly lower tie rods as I am planning to go to a springer seat. I was wondering if anyone has done this here or had some suggestions or idea about it. I'm attempting to go for the look of this bike:

Attachment rigidsoftail.jpg not found

So, does anyone have suggestions for tie rods or should I just look for the length that will work and go from there? My end idea is to get to more of a bobber look not as much of a cafe look. Just like the photo above but with a set of upturned clubman bars.

Thanks for any insight.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2012 12:07 - 02 Feb 2012 12:19 #501540 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Replacing Shocks with Tie Rods
click here for some solid struts for sportster

you need to make sure to use strong enough material that they won't buckle under use.i seen a set of chrome lightning bolt struts fold up on an old honda chopper when i was a kid and they took all the spokes outta the rear wheel and sent the bike skidding off the road.somehow the guy kept it up.but it was trailer time.

get some nice .120 wall 1 inch tube and cut the eyes off some old shocks and weld the eye's on the tube and build your own,whatever you length you want.

i have ridden a bike with struts,they look cool.

but,it seems like they are always pointed right at yoru a$$ho1e and that is where you feel every bump :pinch: .

a weld on rigid rear end will give you more flex and a more comfortable ride.

my .02fwiw,

leon

p.s.

check out wompy's old 650

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Feb 2012 12:19 by 531blackbanshee.

More
02 Feb 2012 12:29 #501543 by Jdee
Replied by Jdee on topic Replacing Shocks with Tie Rods
Yeah,

I would love to be able to go to a full hardtail and know the advantages of it, but i don't have the space, jig or ability to get it right...i think this will get me in the right direction.

I was thinking about doing what you suggested and just lining it all up with a thick pipe, but was wondering if there were some thinner solid rod or some thick-walled like 5/8-3/4" pipe setups that might come with the joint in a kit. Save me some time welding and fabing my own. But, that may be the way I need to go. Getting a sporty part like this and trying to fit it to a Kawasaki could be more hassle than I want. And its not a spot I want even more play when I know its gonna end up being stiff ("aimed at your a$$hole") like you said. But, I may just make it myself and get it done.

Thanks for the link and idea.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
02 Feb 2012 18:14 #501575 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Replacing Shocks with Tie Rods

531blackbanshee wrote: i have ridden a bike with struts,they look cool.

but,it seems like they are always pointed right at yoru a$$ho1e and that is where you feel every bump :pinch: .

:laugh: :silly: :laugh:
That one made my day as only Leon can.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
03 Feb 2012 11:29 #501724 by 531blackbanshee
i had a strut on the little blast that i have cutdown and riding it was fun,but when you couldn't dodge a bump you would feel like you got kicked :pinch: .

and i don't mean in your whole a$$ :woohoo: !

i'm talkin about right in the ol' bullseye :lol: .

i was talkin to my dad and telling him how much fun it was to ride,except for the bump dealio.

he goes "rigids ride alot better becasue they can flex a little more,it always seems like when you strut a bike it has the struts aimed right for your a.h.
so every bump you hit you feel like you get kicked right in it.

i have a set for my z1r and it is fun to cruise around town like that,but i am always sore on the ride home.

if you have any kinda want to strut your bike i think you should.it is quick and easy to change back to shocks and then you get to tell everyone about your experience running struts.

a sprung seat would take alot of sting outta them i am sure.

i'm all about sacrificing function for speed or style :evil: .

the japanese guys have some sprung struts that look cool and probably keep you from being penetrated :silly: ,but i don't know where to get them.

here is a pic tho,

leon

1976 kz 900 x 3

Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2012 11:48 #501726 by Jdee
Replied by Jdee on topic Replacing Shocks with Tie Rods
I've heard the same thing from a few others too.

I really like the style of a spinger seat and want to try it for the look i'm going for. I'm hoping i'll be enough cushion against that kick. But, like you said, give it a shot, see how it rides and enjoy it.

This is the first bike I have that's mine and not borrowed. So, I want to try some new things with it and see how it rides. Its a bobber and for around town like you said Leon.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something with some V-Twins come springtime/summer.

But for now, I'll go for the struts and prepare to get kicked.

Thanks man.

Joe

More
03 Feb 2012 12:06 #501731 by 531blackbanshee
it's fun like getting to take your go kart to town.

the simplicity is the best part.

have fun with it.

leon

1976 kz 900 x 3