Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

test ride without fender results. 28 Oct 2005 13:54 #4982

• ronboskz650sr
  • ronboskz650sr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just got back from a short testride on a variety of surfaces, and curves. I can say I'm sure it's worse without the fender. It's windy today, but I did a hands-off test in a protected area with no detectable wind. the bike is a little "random" with the fender off. That's the best description I can come up with. I feel the need to make tiny inputs I shouldn't need in well-known places. Seems like some of the curves required an extra correction after setting the lean angle, too. It doesn't feel dangerous, just wrong. My fender has a reinforcing strip welded into each side extending through the bolt hole area all the way to the top, where the bend starts. It's quite rigid, so maybe it's not the same with all the bikes. I really notice a difference after turning around in a tight cul-de-sac, and coming back up to straighten out...definite wiggle that wasn't there yesterday. That's my report for my bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

test ride without fender results. 28 Oct 2005 21:14 #5070

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Yeah, the fender bracing helps keep the forks parallel and not twist. If nothing else, cut the fender ends off and just use the center section or get a fork brace. Better safe that sorry.
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

test ride without fender results. 28 Oct 2005 21:43 #5074

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
I did cut the fender back in the front and up in the back. I'll get some pics on the bike..it's not painted yet, but the point in the front came out great!

test ride without fender results. 28 Oct 2005 22:10 #5080

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Ron, interesting stuff. I have heard that the front fender acts as a fork brace. I have often seen the 8 mm mounting bolts of the Z1 series broken away. so they must do some work. I often warn against fitting plastic fenders for this reason.
RegardZ.
PS. Get Jeff (Z1 Ent') to tell us about going around the block without the front axle keepers on!
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

test ride without fender results. 28 Oct 2005 22:20 #5083

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Yeah, I was a little bummed when I rode it today...really liked the looks of it off. But then I did the bodywork on the fender, painted it real quick just to check, and it looks great, too. So I'll happily put it back on...I think I was just hoping to skip out on some work.:laugh:

• Page: