Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Doing fork seals - newbie parts question 24 May 2006 08:09 #49705

• paulie
  • paulie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, I found a coworker who is experienced to help me with my fork seals. It also helps that he's got the right tools, and has done many a fork seal in the past. I'm confident he can help, as I've spoken to a few people he's helped with seals in the past, and they're still around to tell me about it :)

So as such, I'm rounding up the parts. The diagram from buykawasaki looks like I need 4 pairs of parts:

1.) Dust Covers
2.) The seals themselves
3.) Circlip - Oil Seal (part #: 44044-012)
4.) Washer - Oil Seal (Part 44043-044)

I don't have the bike apart yet to check sizes(I still want to ride it a little before I do this!), nor do I have my factory service manual, yet! Might anyone be able to provide more information on #3 and #4, as buykawasaki doesnt have sizes listed? I couldn't find anything that looked approriate on Z1Enterprises either, but perhaps I just wasnt looking in the right spot?

Also, Am I missing any other essential parts aside from fork oil?

Thanks in advance all!

- Paulie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doing fork seals - newbie parts question 24 May 2006 08:37 #49712

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
ronayers.com has the parts listed. My honda uses 50mm external rings to hold the seals in. These are not sold at the hardware store.

Don't know why the aftermarket kits don't include these parts. The ring is almost always rusted because it sits under the dust seal where condensation collects.

Doing fork seals - newbie parts question 24 May 2006 09:53 #49731

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Paulie,

Usually, on Kawasaki's, you salvage and reuse the circlip and the washer (unless they are completely trashed, in which case you will probably have to order them from a kawasaki dealer or as Duck suggested) as they are not considered part of a routine fork seal replacement. Same goes for the dust covers...unless they are ruined, reuse them. Only replace the seals.:)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Page: