• Page:

TOPIC:

Has anyone done any of this? 23 May 2006 16:40 #49512

• Nitwit
  • Nitwit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I would like to get rid of as many of the cables, wires, etc. that are around the handlebars. I'm thinking of doing away with the speedometer and tachometer, relocating the starter button to somewhere on the right side of the chassis, eliminate the requirement that the clutch be disengaged before the starter will work, run the turn signal wires inside the handle bars, and not worry if there will be no high beam switch.
I'm not a real mechanical guy, but I kind of know how most things electrical function.
I would be interested in anyone’s experience at any or all of this.
Thanks,
Nitwit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Has anyone done any of this? 23 May 2006 19:15 #49570

• wireman
  • Visitor
piece of cake;)

Has anyone done any of this? 24 May 2006 20:55 #49914

• KZ
  • User
I have done this. I eliminated the entire instrument cluster, mounted the ignition key into the headlight cover and removed the turn signals (check local laws on all this first). Much cleaner looking. The original bars on my 1000 LTD had internally routed wires but I put on some shorter ones and did not bother running the wire through them. All it would take is to drill a few holes though. As for the harness, I clipped off all the wires that I no longer needed where they spliced into the harness. I have had no electrical issues. Remember to plug the holes where the speedo and tach used to go.

Here is a pic

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/05/25 00:09

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/05/25 00:10
Attachments:

Has anyone done any of this? 24 May 2006 23:46 #49935

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Here's a question: WHY??

How the hell are you supposed to know how fast your going without a speedo? How about that tach, wouldn't that be a useful item?

Are you the same guy that tossed his front brakes and fender?
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 01:11 #49942

• KZ
  • User
I don't need them.

I still have the brakes but no fender.

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/05/25 04:14

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 02:55 #49946

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Nitwit wrote:

Hi all,
...eliminate the requirement that the clutch be disengaged before the starter will work and not worry if there will be no high beam switch....
I'm not a real mechanical guy, but I kind of know how most things electrical function.
I would be interested in anyone’s experience at any or all of this.
Thanks,
Nitwit

All the cosmetic stuff is do-able, butthere's valid reasons why messing with the clutch ain't such a good idea - would be quite a sight to spend all that time and effort making a cosmetically clean bike and wipe a fair amount of that off on a gal-pal's quarterpanels but absent-mindedly hitting the starter button in first gear with the clutch out...

As the French say, *Feces Occur*.

Another point for style is that high beam. These bikes aren't known for having an over abundance of lumens to begin with. If you insist on doffing the high beam switch, then at least leave it stuck on the high beam.

(*$hit happens)

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/05/25 05:57

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 05:35 #49963

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
If ya wanted a schwinn ya should have bought one..;)
Seriously, there are few non-mechanicals happy with custom stuff. When the problems arrise they are on the short end of tech support. The mantra around here is do what you like but like the carpentry rule of measure twice and cut once keep a eye down the road. Removing that foofoo valve is easier than putting one on! BTW if you need a foofoo valve I got a whole box of them...
From one foofoo to another....

"Feces Occur"? Oui! dOOd poOOp!

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 07:37 #49990

• Nitwit
  • Nitwit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
KZ - That's exactly the look I'm after. I will, however, keep the turn signals. Thanks for the picture and advice.
Ptersaur - Thanks for the tip on the the high beam. I don't drive at night very much and only around town.
Ambergrismooon - Thanks for the input. FooFoo valve? Is that the clutch/starter do-hickey?
Nitwit

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 12:21 #50034

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Don't forget to put a longer fork on there! Rigid frame and a suicide clutch with a jockey shift is what you need! Come to think of it, you'd probably do well to install a low-compression pushrod V-twin engine while you're at it...

Post edited by: guitargeek, at: 2006/05/25 15:49
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 16:03 #50086

• wireman
  • Visitor
guitargeek wrote:

Don't forget to put a longer fork on there! Rigid frame and a suicide clutch with a jockey shift is what you need! Come to think of it, you'd probably do well to install a low-compression pushrod V-twin engine while you're at it...<br><br>Post edited by: guitargeek, at: 2006/05/25 15:49

got a problem with personalizing a bike?:whistle: if everybody rode the same black 750 that would be kind of boring dont ya think?;)

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 16:06 #50088

• MattBlack
  • User
guitargeek wrote:

Don't forget to put a longer fork on there! Rigid frame and a suicide clutch with a jockey shift is what you need! Come to think of it, you'd probably do well to install a low-compression pushrod V-twin engine while you're at it...<br><br>Post edited by: guitargeek, at: 2006/05/25 15:49

I sense a little sarcasm.... :lol: ;)

I'd like to get rid of my stock gauges but I'd like to make a new warning light panel (smaller) as well as use a new tach and speedo, but much smaller. I just want to lighten the look of the bike a little. Even going from the 7" headlamp to a 5.5" lamp made a world of difference on the front IMO. But hey, to each their own. I knwo there are some guys who consier choppign one of these up from stock is sacrilege. :whistle: :)

Has anyone done any of this? 25 May 2006 16:34 #50096

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Gettin rid of the starter lockout switch (that switch on the clutch lever) is an easy one. Follow the wires under the tank and disconnect the switch wires. Then plug the two connectors on the main harness together as one's a male plug and the other's a female. It's as if it were ment to be.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: