Shock Recommendations?

More
30 Dec 2011 02:33 #495252 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Shock Recommendations?
I have Progressive fork springs in my 79 750 twin and absolutely love them. Had Progressive rear shocks at one time but I specified springs that were to heavy for me and my bike. If I added 10 lbs to the seat behind me they worked great though.

I'm not really a fan of Progressive shocks though.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2011 04:18 #495415 by tomnagel
Replied by tomnagel on topic Shock Recommendations?
when we have to ride in extreme cold conditions what type of engine oil is best suted for any bike in general?

More
31 Dec 2011 06:26 #495417 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic Shock Recommendations?
Heating Oil? :P

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
31 Dec 2011 11:21 #495433 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Shock Recommendations?
I picked up a pair of Marzocchi on ebay for a little over $200 last year and love them. I do not see to many as of late that are reasonably priced so I feel lucky that I bought them when I did.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
31 Dec 2011 21:45 #495519 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Shock Recommendations?

tomnagel wrote: when we have to ride in extreme cold conditions what type of engine oil is best suted for any bike in general?

Welcome to the forum. Start you own thread about engine oil. Just click on forum and scroll down to engine. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
01 Jan 2012 03:15 #495589 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shock Recommendations?

tomnagel wrote: when we have to ride in extreme cold conditions what type of engine oil is best suted for any bike in general?

10-40 synthetic. Amsoil is very good.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jan 2012 12:44 #495624 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Shock Recommendations?
I found the Progressive fork springs too hard for my liking. Also fitted a pair of Progressive shock absorbers on an Intruder 1400 some years ago, and while they proved an improvement over stock, they had too little rebound and after only a few thousand miles had a lot less.

A German magazine recently compared several brands for the Honda CB900F and called the Ikon (former Koni) set a winner over Ohlins. I only have the conclusion, so I cannot say if the Ikons won because they cost 1/3 that of the Ohlins or if they actually performed better overall as well. I've had Konis on several bikes and find them pretty good for the price. They, too, lose rebound with time, but are adjustable and also rebuildable.

Cheap Hagons, in my experience, have too much compression and too little rebound damping - not unlike stock suspenders from the 1970s. But the Hagon mono-shock fitted to my Sprint many moons ago was fine.

Then again, people have different preferences. Even at the very top level of racing, racers are likely to require quite different settings.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
01 Jan 2012 13:23 #495628 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shock Recommendations?

faffi wrote: I found the Progressive fork springs too hard for my liking. Also fitted a pair of Progressive shock absorbers on an Intruder 1400 some years ago, and while they proved an improvement over stock, they had too little rebound and after only a few thousand miles had a lot less.

A German magazine recently compared several brands for the Honda CB900F and called the Ikon (former Koni) set a winner over Ohlins. I only have the conclusion, so I cannot say if the Ikons won because they cost 1/3 that of the Ohlins or if they actually performed better overall as well. I've had Konis on several bikes and find them pretty good for the price. They, too, lose rebound with time, but are adjustable and also rebuildable.

Cheap Hagons, in my experience, have too much compression and too little rebound damping - not unlike stock suspenders from the 1970s. But the Hagon mono-shock fitted to my Sprint many moons ago was fine.

Then again, people have different preferences. Even at the very top level of racing, racers are likely to require quite different settings.

Please elaborate! Where, oh where can we buy cheap Hagons? I’m sure we all would like to know! :whistle: :woohoo: In the past I've used S&W shocks and I find the Hagons work at least as well if not better (S&Ws were the hot setup in the day used by Kenny Roberts, Vetter/Rickman, and others on the track). But then I am riding a KZ650, not a 1400 Intruder or Honda CB900F, so maybe that accounts for the difference. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
01 Jan 2012 13:50 #495630 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Shock Recommendations?
650ed said, In the past I've used S&W shocks and I find the Hagons work at least as well if not better (S&Ws were the hot setup in the day used by Kenny Roberts, Vetter/Rickman, and others on the track). Ed[/quote]

I have a pair of S&W Street Strokers on my bike now.
I haven't ridin it in twenty years :( getting her back on the road B)
Do they crap out over time ?

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
01 Jan 2012 14:32 #495631 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Shock Recommendations?
Been following this hoping for an easy answer. I'm looking for an attractive shock that works. I don't slam corners but still want a fair priced working shock.
Les

More
01 Jan 2012 16:33 - 01 Jan 2012 19:09 #495645 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Shock Recommendations?

650ed wrote: Please elaborate! Where, oh where can we buy cheap Hagons? I’m sure we all would like to know! :whistle: :woohoo:

Your nearest dealer will do :P Basic Hagons come sans any adjustments and cannot be rebuilt, just like the low line Progressive Suspension items. Hagon also make fully adjustable twin shocks that I reckon will be superior. Considering the difference in function and, IMO, build quality plus having the option of rebuilding them, I find Ikons to be a steal compared to just about any other shock absorber. YSS, which I haven't tried, is also supposed to make excellent shock absorbers at a reasonable price.

Wilbers, however, is in my experience - and that of several others I know of - a waste of money; not much better than stock when new and wear fast. They do cost a lot, though, and their service is reputedly great.

Still, as I've mentioned, people's preference vary. Also, especially budget products will show noticeable differences in production, meaning one shock can behave very differently to another with the same parts number.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition
Last edit: 01 Jan 2012 19:09 by faffi.

More
01 Jan 2012 18:59 #495689 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shock Recommendations?

faffi wrote: [quote="650ed" post=495628Please elaborate! Where, oh where can we buy cheap Hagons? I’m sure we all would like to know! :whistle: :woohoo:

Your nearest dealer will do :P Basic Hagons come sans any adjustments and cannot be rebuilt, just like the low line Progressive Suspension items. Hagon also make fully adjustable twin shocks that I reckon will be superior. Considering the difference in function and, IMO, build quality plus having the option of rebuilding them, I find Ikons to be a steal compared to just about any other shock absorber. YSS, which I haven't tried, is also supposed to make excellent shock absorbers at a reasonable price.

Wilbers, however, is in my experience - and that of several others I know of - a waste of money; not much better than stock when new and wear fast. They do cost a lot, though, and their service is reputedly great.

Still, as I've mentioned, people's preference vary. Also, especially budget products will show noticeable differences in production, meaning one shock can behave very differently to another with the same parts number.[/quote]

I believe you are totally wrong, and I cannot imagine where you come up with such a statement. How about showing me which Hagon shocks are non-adjustable and I will eat crow, othwise I say BS. Here's the link - now show me.....

davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cg...GON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)