Worth buying?

• crazy homeless guy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 KZ650 CSR
More
24 Dec 2011 13:55 #494548 by crazy homeless guy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWorth buying? was created by crazy homeless guy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAre these crap?? I am guessing so for the price, but thought it would be worth asking.

1981 KZ650 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2011 20:17 #494573 by Kapahulu
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Kapahulu on topic Worth buying?
I would buy a used set of shocks before buying those. The spring rate is very high and having these shocks is like riding a hardtail.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2011 20:22 #494574 by DoubleDub
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by DoubleDub on topic Worth buying?
Are you saying that from the info or personal experience with the shocks?

• crazy homeless guy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 KZ650 CSR
More
26 Dec 2011 20:05 #494762 by crazy homeless guy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by crazy homeless guy on topic Worth buying?
Hmmm... I am doing some work on my bike and thought it might be worth replacing the shocks and springs as they are the original. WIthout knowing any more about my bike would say that it is typically better to start by just replacing springs and keep the shocks to improve the ride, or given the age of the shocks would it be better to replace both shocks and springs.

Bike is a 1981 KZ650 CSR with roughly 17,200 miles on it.

1981 KZ650 CSR

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
26 Dec 2011 21:48 #494773 by DoubleDub
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by DoubleDub on topic Worth buying?
My personal experience has been that the stock springs aren't the issue, it's the short life of the dampening in the shocks that's the issue. But that's just my experience, your travel may vary.

• crazy homeless guy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 KZ650 CSR
More
27 Dec 2011 22:18 #494891 by crazy homeless guy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by crazy homeless guy on topic Worth buying?
Got it. So you would guess the shocks will more than likely should be a definite replacement, but you aren't convinced in regards to the springs.

I was thinking it would be better to move to a progressive spring set up.

1981 KZ650 CSR

More
27 Dec 2011 22:53 #494892 by loudhvx
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by loudhvx on topic Worth buying?
I bought a pair of those. Definitely crappy.

The shock's piston shaft is pretty small in diameter. The springs were way way too heavy (for my 550).

The springs are for a really heavy bike, but then I wouldn't trust the shock on a heavy bike.

I may try to put some lighter springs on it, but as is, I can't really ride the bike to test it.

As a side note, I agree with Double Dub. All of the stock shocks that I have are defective due to the internal valving assemblies disintegrating. They use nylon washers inside and they crumble... looking like a small pile of couscous.

More
30 Dec 2011 01:19 #495244 by 1045
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by 1045 on topic Worth buying?
Yes they are crap, I put a set on my Kz1ooo and it was like riding a hardtail around.....they may be OK if you are a heavy wieght, I took them off and put on a set of progressive shocks, huge difference.