Trouble with gsxr front end swap

• SitruKKurtiS
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2011 01:06 #491378 by SitruKKurtiS
Trouble with gsxr front end swap was created by SitruKKurtiS
Hey peeps,

recently, I posted a a topic about swapping a gsxr front end onto a KZ1000. The triple clamp has been modified to fit the kz1000 neck, thankfully. The issue that I'm having now is with the stock Kawasaki rim. The gsxr rim has an axle that is way bigger than the kx1000 axle. Is there a bearing conversion kit for the KZ1000 rim to fit the axle of the gsxr? Or should I just cut the KZ rim out of the picture? If any of you have had this problem and solved it, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could lend me your wisdom and help me out.

Thanks,
Kurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
04 Dec 2011 03:35 #491387 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Trouble with gsxr front end swap
I used the GSXR wheel with my fork swap. I believe that most of the others are doing the same.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Fritula
  • User
  • holly land garage
More
04 Dec 2011 14:31 #491473 by Fritula
Replied by Fritula on topic Trouble with gsxr front end swap
Usualy guys are going for wider wheel in front,after instaling a wider forks.In your example,you will go with stock one ,so you can ride tomorow and change the wheel later. There is solution ,but it does not pay to do it.Your can build a new axle with wider screw ends on both side.Than you have to do something with brakes.Wider fork right now tini wheel inside.Your disc could not mach the calipers.Everithing is fixable ,this or other way,but that would cost you a lot more work and money than ,if you find proper wheel for your forks.That is my 2 cent on it.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Dec 2011 14:43 #491475 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Trouble with gsxr front end swap
it is just cheaper and simpler to use the same forks,wheel, brakes, and fender from the same bike.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
04 Dec 2011 20:05 #491549 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Trouble with gsxr front end swap
What Mark said... Just save yourself a bunch of work.

If your heart it set on running the original wheel, then you do have options. Having some sleeves made to fit on the orig axle and center the wheel at the same time is one of them. You will then need to have some spacers made that will offset your breaks like Fritula mentioned and possibly your fender. Just be precise with your measurements and get the spacing right.

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider