Forks rake ????????

• Fritula
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • holly land garage
More
29 Nov 2011 05:22 - 29 Nov 2011 05:24 #490630 by Fritula
Forks rake ???????? was created by Fritula
Hello guys I am still newbie here even I was on this forum god knows how many times,back and forth reading such a good threads. I have some question to ask hopefuly someone will know. We all heard or was, on the Japanese site PMC that makes custom parts for Z1/Z2. In the "suspension" section they do not have any of the modern looking forks (upside down),but only Yamaha Vmax forks 43mm wide for Z1 or Z2 upgrade.Comparing the lenght of those,Vmax forks are much longer than GSX or ZX6R guys are upgrading all arround. My question is: What is happening with bike geometry with short or long forks. Does forks rake play same serious role in driving.Somebody who understand that kind of matematics needed urgent. I personaly beleive that those guys know what they are doing.But question is what and how? I do have original cromed forks on my KZ900 and they look awsome,but like everyone else I would like to have wider tire in front. So I bought 05-06 ZX6R forks such a good looking-goldish.They are prity but it worries me how it is gona look.I personally like more elegant look with old style fork,but that goes with price I guess.Anybody with any knowledge of bike geometry appreciated wery well.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 05:24 by Fritula.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2011 12:32 #490649 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Forks rake ????????
welcome fritula!

the longer forks can keep the bike closer to the stock ride hieght.which will give you more cornering clearance.which depending on your local roads may be a plus.

the shorter forks are going to lower your bike,and the zrx shocks are going to raise your rear end.which will reduce your rake and will make your bike steer quicker.

hopefully i have helped you understand a lil more.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• Fritula
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • holly land garage
More
29 Nov 2011 18:06 #490686 by Fritula
Replied by Fritula on topic Forks rake ????????
Thanks for your welcome banshee. I understand that,It would mean that those guys are just trying to keep classic look of these bikes.Now I dont know what to do.Should I go with upside down or classic. Both of the forks look really good.I guess that is a just a matter of taste

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Nov 2011 20:57 - 29 Nov 2011 20:58 #490718 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Forks rake ????????
#1 it depends on what u want to do with the bike.
if u are racing then fork length is #1. u need all the ground clearance u can get. when u switch to modern 17" wheels u loose clearance. also the fork style must fit with the race class rules.

if its a street ride then its a matter of taste. do u like upside down or right side up. keeping in mind that depending on the forks u may sacrifice ground clearance, but u dont NEED as much for the street..
geometry doesnt matter much on the street. some guys are happy with choppers.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 20:58 by mark1122.

More
29 Nov 2011 22:36 #490743 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Forks rake ????????
When you go with the shorter forks and shorter wheel you are in essence taking rake and trail out of the chassis. You will gain some of the trail back by using the modern trees, they tend to have the steering stem located closer to the fork centerlines. If you have ever had a bike head shake, speed wobble or what ever you want to call it you will learn that isn't the ideal situation and is going to happen sooner with the change in geometry. I firmly believe in putting more rake back into the chassis, not the tree's, if you plan on a little hard blasting at all. Looks are good but spend a few bucks and make it safe too if your going to bump the speed up on occasion. Look around the net and you'll find some good info on rake and trail plus some calculators for them.
Hope this clears it up a little more, I see so many builds doing major changes without fully understanding the possible repercussions.
Les Holt
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Fritula
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • holly land garage
More
03 Dec 2011 04:32 #491221 by Fritula
Mark 1122 was wright:geometry doesnt matter much on the street. some guys are happy with choppers.LOL. Yes that is truth,most of it is taste. But then I have to agree with "Les Holt" too,when he said:I firmly beleive in putting more rake back into the chassis,if you plan on a little hard blasting at all. Truth, canT denied.At the end I am no different than any other guy on bike,sure I will kick it sometime.So techicality comes slowly ahead.Ahm that is different wiev wright now and when I see Marks and Les bikes with upside down forks,It does not look that bad at all ANYMORE (as I tought) So forks are ready, in garage just waiting. It is 05-06 ZX6R forks,bought it without top triple.Is there any body that has one from different model so I could mount bar clamps on.And ofcorse I need front wheel too .almost forget it,but Iam looking for one with three spokes to mach rear.(I dont know am loud enough)Thank you guys,that really made my day

More
03 Dec 2011 12:02 #491254 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Forks rake ????????

les holt wrote: When you go with the shorter forks and shorter wheel you are in essence taking rake and trail out of the chassis. You will gain some of the trail back by using the modern trees, they tend to have the steering stem located closer to the fork centerlines. If you have ever had a bike head shake, speed wobble or what ever you want to call it you will learn that isn't the ideal situation and is going to happen sooner with the change in geometry. I firmly believe in putting more rake back into the chassis, not the tree's, if you plan on a little hard blasting at all. Looks are good but spend a few bucks and make it safe too if your going to bump the speed up on occasion. Look around the net and you'll find some good info on rake and trail plus some calculators for them.
Hope this clears it up a little more, I see so many builds doing major changes without fully understanding the possible repercussions.
Les Holt

Truer words were never spoken (or written). Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Dec 2011 19:30 #491333 by les holt
Fritula, I'm making a new top tree for my build and I have the same forks as you I believe, I have allready made a billet tree and I could modify it to take handle bar clamps if you would be interested in it. It needs to be finished but not a big deal, I haven't split the area that clamps on the forks or put the bolt patterns in yet.
Les Holt

• Fritula
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • holly land garage
More
04 Dec 2011 13:42 #491463 by Fritula
Thanks les. Very nice of you. Those cnc top trees are usualy pricy and my pocket often does not hold much in it,if not emty. Family first and if ....Usualy I do some little side job for the neighbor or arround and that money goes to bike. But,have to admit you got me interested.Oh boy ,even if it is made of gold and in no way I can aford it,I would be interested. Or prity much everything arround the bike. Ok les holt,talk to me.

More
04 Dec 2011 14:16 #491467 by les holt
If your time table can match mine I'll cut you a good deal. I won't have a use for it and it will help a guy out I'm in. I have some other work to catch up on for others before I get to mine and as soon as I have time I'll finish up both trees. All I have done on mine it the outer profile. Shouldn't take but an afternoon to do but that may be a couple weeks out. I just bought another bike so I have to rearrange the shop to get it in which is on this afternoon's schedule.
Les Holt

• Fritula
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • holly land garage
More
04 Dec 2011 17:54 #491532 by Fritula
Wow,you really stop writing. I taugh you will tell me what the damage is. There are two solutions for it. You fill as uncomfortable as I am when price have to be said, or you like to go arround,kinda with gloves.

More