Police Bike Footboards, Brake Pedal etc.

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
14 Nov 2011 18:27 #488473 by ed spangler
Police Bike Footboards, Brake Pedal etc. was created by ed spangler
I have a 1975 Z1-B 900, am thinking I would like to put Floorboards and brake pedal / shifter from a police model on this bike.Just something different.
Any thoughts on what years Police Bike foot boards and pedals might work?
Thoughts where I may find some.??......... REASONABLE? I figure somewhere out there , someone is taking them off a police bike and maybe would let them go cheap..Just a thought!
Thanks Guys!
Attached are some of the pics I have of my bike before we started on it and some of the ones as it sits now.We are kinda proud we brought this one back from the brink..
Thanks
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2011 19:55 #488483 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Police Bike Footboards, Brake Pedal etc.
Very nice bike. I have put police floorboards on several of my KZ bikes. I have used the ones from the 79/80 C model. These have chrome brackets that bolt to the frame. I welded a bung to the front down tubes and the backs bolted right in. After 81 or whatever Kawasaki made the frames with brackets so the only thing bolted on was the actual floor board. I have seen early Z1 floor boards off police bikes that are truly bolt on, no modifications necessary. Dan Gurney did all the early police modification equipment for Kawasaki. I think you would need the Z1 version because you have the drum brake and like anything Z1 if you can find it its going to be expensive.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
14 Nov 2011 20:06 #488490 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Police Bike Footboards, Brake Pedal etc.
We are pretty good fabricators,saw one Police Bike advertised for sale ,think it was a 89 or 98 sorry don't remember which, anyway, had large footboards and a nice large brake pedal.
Also thinking of a shifter that would have front and back arms.
Fabricating mounts no big deal,just need to find some that we could make fit.So will stick with the low cost
Have you got any pics of any of these you have installed on a non-police bike? Can you elaborate a little about why it is more difficult to do this to earlier Z's? Maybe I am missing the obvious.
Thanks Again
ED

More
14 Nov 2011 20:45 #488496 by etbike3135
Ed, the floor board brackets have the hydraulic master cylinder bolted inside them for the rear disk and obviously is connected with the brake pedal. All you have to do is ad a longer brake line and a longer line to the reservoir. I know anything can be done but I am all for easy. With a rear drum you would have to fabricate your own brake linkage. I worked on a 75 Police bike and I do remember thinking that the way those floor boards were attached by bolting them on so you could have put them on any bike with a rear drum. I am all for keeping the Z’s original and any frame modification is sacrilege to me now.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
14 Nov 2011 20:58 #488498 by ed spangler
Thanks etbike3135!
I agree, I don't want to modify or weld on the frame either. We are old Drag Racers ( Cars ) that used to have to make our own speed parts from before there was a store to buy them from.
So maybe you have given me another ( Better ) idea!! If I could get a PICture and dimensions etc. of these boards as they came on a '75 Police Bike..???!!, we have a bandsaw,Mig and Tig welder,drill press,lathe etc.etc. and metal laying around ...Is it a dumb idea to Fabricate some? We could make the boards then make the mounts also so that it would be a bolt on!? I really appeciate your responses ,very helpfull!
Regards
ED

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
14 Nov 2011 21:41 #488508 by ed spangler
Ya Know Patton is a GENIUS at this sort of thing! Maybe he will notice the post and offer some pic's, dimensions and or ideas!?

More
14 Nov 2011 22:49 #488514 by etbike3135
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis bike here has the early floor boards, and some good pictures of them.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes