76 kz900 swingarm swap

More
12 Nov 2011 21:05 #488230 by Reaper40
76 kz900 swingarm swap was created by Reaper40
i am in the process of a frame up rebuild of a 1976 kz900. i reallly love the look of the mono shock swingarm on these bikes. can anyone please tell me what swingarms bolt right on if there are any.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2011 10:40 #488284 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic 76 kz900 swingarm swap
Reaper,

Its the words "bolt right on" that will give you a fit. There are many swingarms that you can swap out on the bike, but you will have to "fit" them to the bike. There are many projects in the project section (including myself) that have done swingarm swaps and can give you some ideas.

At a minimum you will have to make, or have the following made.
- pivot bolt spacer
- pivot arm spacers
- rear wheel spacers
- lower shock mount
- upper shock mount

Alot of it depends on what you choose to use.

Here is a short list, but not exclusive of some swing arms to start looking at.

ZX9 - Mid 80's
GSXR 750 - 90's
GSXR 1000 - 90's
GS1000E (I think)

Many others will work, and you will just need to do some measurements and figure out what you like.

Im sure others will chime in and give you some additional options.

Have Fun..

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reaper40

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
13 Nov 2011 15:19 #488320 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic 76 kz900 swingarm swap
Reaper; Unfortunately, "monoshock" and "bolt on" are normaly mutually exclusive terms. BUT, there is someone who may be able to help you in that regard. His screen name is irishwill, and once upon a time he was working on a "bolt on monoshock" kit for the KZ. I do not believe he was ever able to finish his design due to life circumstances, but I also don't know how close he got. You could try to PM him. I'm not sure how often he frequents this forum these days. If you don't get a respons, let me know and I can give him a call.

While there are lots of swingarms that will fit between the swingarm pivots of your KZ that would require minimal work/machining to fit, it is the shock mounts that will require the lions share of the fabrication and welding. This will be true no matter which swingarm you choose. I would advise you to stay away from swingarms that would need you to upgrade the swingarm pivot bushings ;) Good luck!

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reaper40