CALLING ON ANY INFOFROM ANY STRETCHED SHAFTIES!!!!

More
30 Oct 2011 22:37 #486150 by lambert II
ok guys, decided what route i wanna go on my 82 spectre 1100, im gonna stretch it, and hardtail the frame. No i dont mean just replace the shocks with struts, i mean i true hrdtail that the final drive sits in that just happens to have a shaft drive, just curious how long i can safely go.now the way i plan on doing this is the way a shop over in europe has been doing it for yrs... heres what i got from them

"Hi Brian
The proper way would be to cut off the front & back ends of the shaft that you want to use, leaving about 2" of stub on each end.
Get a bit of good steel (chrome moly works) of larger dia - say 1" - of the right length, machine the ends to accept the stubs with a press fit, press together and TIG weld.
Its good if you can arrange it so the weld goes round a larger diameter part of the stubs than the main shaft diameter - where it flares out.
Hope this helps
Briz"

now i was thinking about a 10 to 12 inch stretch, but has anybody else ever went this far?

82 kz1100d1 spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2011 01:12 #486190 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic CALLING ON ANY INFOFROM ANY STRETCHED SHAFTIES!!!!
My brother has had it done on cars to splice in a new drive axle, but I haven't seen it done on a bike. I don't imagine it's that different. I know a good machine show will then put it on a lathe to make sure it's balanced properly, but other than that, I wouldn't know any more.
Being that I have a shaft drive myself, I'm looking forward to reading what others have to say. ;)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
31 Oct 2011 01:15 #486191 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic CALLING ON ANY INFOFROM ANY STRETCHED SHAFTIES!!!!
Oh, and did you never get the micrometer to check the dimensions you posted about in your other thread?

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
31 Oct 2011 23:08 #486402 by lambert II
Not really needing a micrometer, just a chance to pull the axle and get the length and diameter.

82 kz1100d1 spectre

More
01 Nov 2011 02:00 #486423 by 82SPECTRE
My only advice would be to watch your driveshaft angle very closely when your doing the hardtail conversion. Im having problems with mine now because it is just a hair unlevel and is clunking like crazy... Not good

1982 KZ 750 N1 SPECTRE

More
03 Nov 2011 01:07 #486778 by lambert II
hey 82, did you stretch it at all, and can you get me a cpl pics of the setup you have running?

82 kz1100d1 spectre

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Nov 2011 10:03 #486805 by Motor Head
The operating angle of drive-line U-Joints will let the shaft work at up to 3 degrees. That's the difference between the output of the Power from Engine/ Transmission, and the center of the Shaft tube. then again on the Output of the Shaft tube to the Differential/ final drive. Balance after shorting, as well as straight and true, with good U-Joints/ not binding, is needed.
So with the hard tail, shaft just UN-level: Is the operating angle of either end, U-joint, over three degrees?
have a look at any rear wheel drive Car or Truck. Look at a 4x4 Jeep, Stock of course not lifted, and see how the drive-line angles are.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Nov 2011 14:31 #488048 by Red Good
You have picked one of the best to ask , Briz is one of the most knowledgeable builders out there and because he has done most everything that can be done to a motorcycle it's based on practical experience .

Any help we can offer just email Kate . Red

More
23 Nov 2011 19:45 #489884 by 82SPECTRE
No it is not stretched at all. I just switched the stock springs with rigid struts and they are about 9". Im not sure if the shaft has exceeded 3 degrees but I bet that is the problem. Although i have seen other builds online that seem to also exceed the 3 degree rule and they have no problem...

1982 KZ 750 N1 SPECTRE

More
23 Nov 2011 19:47 #489885 by 82SPECTRE

lambert II wrote: hey 82, did you stretch it at all, and can you get me a cpl pics of the setup you have running?

Ill post pics of it as soon as i can get them uploaded

1982 KZ 750 N1 SPECTRE