Forgot Clutch lever what do?

More
26 Oct 2011 22:44 - 26 Oct 2011 22:45 #485533 by Omaha Rider
Forgot Clutch lever what do? was created by Omaha Rider
I'm installing the stock handle bars on my Kz650 SR. Through blood sweat and tears I got the wires for the switches through the bars like they are sopposed to be and the switches installed onto the bars. Today I was looking at the bars and thought "oh shit" I didn't slide the clutch lever onto the bars before installing the leftside wire harness and switch assembly all throughout the bars and shit. Am I going to have to rip the wires out again and start all over? Or can I buy an aftermarket clutch lever that doesn't slide on. Rather have it bolt on like the right side brake lever. What were they thinking putting the wires through the handle bars and not having the clutch lever bolt on? Sooooo frusterating. Any ideas?

1978 KZ650 SR D
Last edit: 26 Oct 2011 22:45 by Omaha Rider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Oct 2011 22:50 #485535 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Forgot Clutch lever what do?
Cut one in half and heli-arc a bolt hole on the other side. Make a 2 piece unit.They sell for $9.99 on ebay all day long.
Most people have a friend or relative that welds. At least I think that.
Or just start over.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
27 Oct 2011 09:33 - 18 Feb 2013 17:54 #485592 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 17:54 by martin_csr.

More
27 Oct 2011 10:54 #485608 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Forgot Clutch lever what do?
It's a 10 minute job to pull the wires back out, put the lever on and pull the wires back through. There are different ways to pull the wires through the bars. If you tie or tape a single wire to your wire harness you can slip the single wire through the bars, then spray your harness with silicon spray, then pull the harness through as you push the wiring in at the same time. You'll have your wires through the bars in a couple minutes at most. Usually less than a minute.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.