Front fork replacement

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2011 23:49 #481819 by mtbspeedfreak
Front fork replacement was created by mtbspeedfreak
Howdy gents,

This winter I'll be revamping the handling of my bike- I'm looking to replace the front fork. I'm keeping the traditional style (no modern USD forks), preferably even staying with an OEM Kawasaki fork. I'm 99% sure I'll be installing a RaceTech cartridge emulator, only decision I have to make is whether I want to grab an early KZ1000 fork (that way I can keep my triple tree) or if I want to go to a KZ Police front fork (and replace the tree). I believe the tubes on the police models were 2mm thicker and the whole point to my exercise is to freshen up the handling, so I 'm thinking the police forks are the way to go.

Any thoughts?

(Anyone have KZP forks and trees for sale?)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Oct 2011 08:41 #481988 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Front fork replacement
if u really want to improve the handling, u need newer forks. the kz forks are terrible compared to a newer fork.
i would recommend the zrx forks. There are a lot of options out there. Of course if u want to keep the stock front wheel, this will require some research and mods.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
08 Oct 2011 09:48 #482002 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Front fork replacement
I have a set of forks that come from a 1986-87 GPZ1000. They are still conventional, super beefy, have twin disks, I have all the associated hardware, and they are as long as my stock KZ1000 forks. The only thing is that they take a 16" alloy wheel as stock. Obviously this would look different on your bike, but I sure you could come up with some combination of wheel and spacers to make it work with a 19" spoke wheel or anything else. If you are interested, shoot me a pm and we can work something out. I'm not into these things for a huge amount of money and I won't ever use them, so I'll make you a decent deal if you are interested.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Oct 2011 12:19 #482021 by mark1122
Josh, does your kz dive in the front end still,with the racetech gold valves? did u get a chance to ride it before and after the valve job??

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • User
More
08 Oct 2011 12:48 #482025 by testarossa

mark1122 wrote: Josh, does your kz dive in the front end still,with the racetech gold valves? did u get a chance to ride it before and after the valve job??

Mark, I haven't done the gold valves in the fork yet. I just have one in the rear shock. I didn't want to have to get in there again for a long while. I did however put the correct Race Tech forks springs in place so that I have enough spring rate. Anyway, with the stock Suzuki valves and the new springs, it is adjustable enough to control the dive on the street. I just adjust the preload so that it leaves me about 3/4" of travel on the hardest stop that I would make. That way if you encounter a bump while braking hard, you will still have a little travel before hitting the bump stops.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Oct 2011 13:43 #482032 by mark1122

testarossa wrote:

mark1122 wrote: Josh, does your kz dive in the front end still,with the racetech gold valves? did u get a chance to ride it before and after the valve job??

Mark, I haven't done the gold valves in the fork yet. I just have one in the rear shock. I didn't want to have to get in there again for a long while. I did however put the correct Race Tech forks springs in place so that I have enough spring rate. Anyway, with the stock Suzuki valves and the new springs, it is adjustable enough to control the dive on the street. I just adjust the preload so that it leaves me about 3/4" of travel on the hardest stop that I would make. That way if you encounter a bump while braking hard, you will still have a little travel before hitting the bump stops.

OH, my bad. i had a brain fart . i was thinking u had stock forks with gold valves.
i was hoping u could advise mtbspeedfreak on the improvment, but i screwed that 1 up. :blink:

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Oct 2011 15:48 #482169 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Front fork replacement
Testa, thanks for the offer, but I'm not any fan of the anti-dive mechanisms on GPz forks, it looks like a cartoon alien taser from the 50s. I like the dual bolts to clamp the sliders to the tree though. the KZ Police tree mounts that way. Any timeframe to get the Gold Valves installed? ;)

Dutchz has them in and he likes them. I was re-reading his build thread for the umpteenth time a few nights ago. I believe he originally threw them in his Z1 fork, then went to the KZ Police front end for rigidity reasons.

2000 ZRX 1100

More
13 Oct 2011 23:22 #483048 by vwgtiguy
Replied by vwgtiguy on topic Front fork replacement

testarossa wrote: I have a set of forks that come from a 1986-87 GPZ1000. They are still conventional, super beefy, have twin disks, I have all the associated hardware, and they are as long as my stock KZ1000 forks. The only thing is that they take a 16" alloy wheel as stock. Obviously this would look different on your bike, but I sure you could come up with some combination of wheel and spacers to make it work with a 19" spoke wheel or anything else. If you are interested, shoot me a pm and we can work something out. I'm not into these things for a huge amount of money and I won't ever use them, so I'll make you a decent deal if you are interested.

Man new to Kzrider I live in Houston and I think I want the forks. My bike is recovering from a hit and run, so is my arm.
The kz750 is getting a major over haul.
PM me what you want for them

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2011 00:43 #483066 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Front fork replacement

vwgtiguy wrote:

testarossa wrote: I have a set of forks that come from a 1986-87 GPZ1000. They are still conventional, super beefy, have twin disks, I have all the associated hardware, and they are as long as my stock KZ1000 forks. The only thing is that they take a 16" alloy wheel as stock. Obviously this would look different on your bike, but I sure you could come up with some combination of wheel and spacers to make it work with a 19" spoke wheel or anything else. If you are interested, shoot me a pm and we can work something out. I'm not into these things for a huge amount of money and I won't ever use them, so I'll make you a decent deal if you are interested.

Man new to Kzrider I live in Houston and I think I want the forks. My bike is recovering from a hit and run, so is my arm.

Get to know testa!

2000 ZRX 1100

More
14 Oct 2011 03:12 #483103 by boyracer
Replied by boyracer on topic Front fork replacement

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Testa, thanks for the offer, but I'm not any fan of the anti-dive mechanisms on GPz forks, it looks like a cartoon alien taser from the 50s.

I had an identical front end on my gpz 900 back in the day.
I REMOVED the anti dive,blocked it off with alloy plate and fitted uprated springs. I also cleaned up the look with braided lines and no balance pipe/excess bracketry. I used a 17 or 18 inch stock kwacka wheel, can't remember which. Made some simple spacers to fit it with no speedo drive. This bike handled well enough to wear through the belly pan!

These forks would work really well for a budget big diameter set up. Can't believe they are same length (which is?) as kz 1000 though....

I have the same calipers biting Z1R discs on my current project. Awesome ,but low key/cheap brake mod. just sayin'....

• testarossa
  • User
More
14 Oct 2011 08:34 #483118 by testarossa

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Testa, thanks for the offer, but I'm not any fan of the anti-dive mechanisms on GPz forks, it looks like a cartoon alien taser from the 50s. I like the dual bolts to clamp the sliders to the tree though. the KZ Police tree mounts that way. Any timeframe to get the Gold Valves installed? ;)

Dutchz has them in and he likes them. I was re-reading his build thread for the umpteenth time a few nights ago. I believe he originally threw them in his Z1 fork, then went to the KZ Police front end for rigidity reasons.

No sweat man. Time frame to get Gold Valves installed? Do you mean on my bike? If so, then whenever I decided to get back into the fork again. Probably another year would be my guess. I'm going to focus on the engine this winter if possible. I have proven to myself that my mods work and will hold together, so now it's time to start refining. The 1075 kit is first up.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • User
More
14 Oct 2011 08:44 #483119 by testarossa

vwgtiguy wrote: Man new to Kzrider I live in Houston and I think I want the forks. My bike is recovering from a hit and run, so is my arm.

vwgtiguy, I sent you a pm about the forks.

So what time of day were you riding around downtown in that video? Early in the morning, I'm guessing. If I tried to make that video it would be 11:17 of me sitting at one traffic light. :laugh:

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN