Dyna Beads

More
03 Oct 2011 20:24 #481226 by P21
Dyna Beads was created by P21

Attachment dynabeads_lg.jpg not found

any one running Dyna Beads in there wheels?

i am thinking of going this route next tire change

Thanks for the help guys and keep it in the wind

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2011 21:05 #481230 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dyna Beads
Balance beads = snake oil. Consider the following: Beads are inserted into a tire – gravity pulls them all to the bottom. As the bike starts moving, the beads keep rolling to the bottom at low speeds but tend to start catching up and spinning with the tire as centrifugal force holds them against the inside of the tire. However, there is no logical reason that the beads should seek the “light” side of the tire. Their distribution within the tire is entirely unpredictable. Every time the bike slows or stops, the beads will again roll to the bottom of the tire, and when the bike speeds up the process begins again. The distribution of the beads will be different every time the bike is driven, so their effect on balance at any given time is unpredictable. They will, in fact, cause the tire to be further out of balance on those occasions when most of them are distributed on the heavy side of the tire. Tires are very easy to balance using wheel weights; I highly recommend you stay with that method. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Oct 2011 21:16 #481231 by indianajames
Replied by indianajames on topic Dyna Beads
hey pj1 i havnt tryed the beads , but you might checkout some stuff called ride on , hydro dynamic balancing liquid . nontoxic and water soluble . doesnt void new tire warranties . about 16 bucks abottle .need 2 . super stable ,zero weights on rim . no vibration good stuff

More
05 Oct 2011 00:40 #481418 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Dyna Beads
There has been many threads on the beads on the GL1800 forum and guys that use them claim they work. I'm like Ed and think otherwise, but have never tried them and wont because I believe they do nothing. Also many a thread on the rideon sealant and it is pretty much regarded badly. Makes a goopy mess inside the tire and can cause corrosion on aluminum wheels and cause flat tires over time. We have even touched on the beads here before and despite what I read on GL1800 going by logic how in the world can they work really? Your wheel is spinning, the beads are sent out by centrifical force. How in the heck they know where balance is or isn't?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Oct 2011 11:40 #481487 by purple_haze
Replied by purple_haze on topic Dyna Beads
i just fill my tires with skittles instead, that way if i get a blowout i dont get mad because i know i will have a tasty treat

the trouble with you is the trouble with me, you got two good eyes but still dont see...
jerry

More
05 Oct 2011 14:33 #481514 by enaz1
Replied by enaz1 on topic Dyna Beads
i run dyna beads, have for a year. no balance problems at all from 0 to 100+. and had other riders try them no problems.

75 z1 900 Big Guy

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
05 Oct 2011 16:11 #481530 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Dyna Beads
I'm with Ron and Ed! If the wheel was out of balance why wouldn't the beads migrate to the heaviest spot and make the situation worse?

Don't have to go to rocket science to find the answer, just stop when you get to Hula Hoops.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
06 Oct 2011 01:36 - 06 Oct 2011 01:57 #481632 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Dyna Beads
After two million miles behind the wheel of big trucks I can flat guarantee they work.

I've seen people throw three golf balls in their tires to balance them (big truck tires), it works but the tire retreaders don't like it cause they tear up the inside of the tire.

Put clip on weights on truck wheels and you lose them, then the truck starts shaking and you have to pay to get them balanced. Throw those beads inside instead and it will stay balanced for the life of the tire, and make the tire last longer because its always balanced. When you're paying $5000 to $7000 for tires, you really want to make them last.

Edit:

So how do Dyna Beads work?

Thinking in linear terms, Dyna Beads act as harmonic mass dampers. (Wikipedia) As the axle goes up, the beads at the bottom of the tire resist the upward movement (Physics 101 - a body at rest remains at rest until acted upon by some other force). As the axle goes down, the beads at the top of the tire resist the downward movement. Now put that into rotational terms, inside a spinning wheel. Each up/down movement of the tire is met with a small amount of nulling mass, and each rotation distributes the beads, increasing the amount of nulling mass at the point opposite the "heavy point of the tire", until a state of equilibrium is reached. The tire comes into balance and the oscillation of the axle is eliminated.

Pics to illustrate ARE HERE

KD9JUR
Last edit: 06 Oct 2011 01:57 by steell.

More
06 Oct 2011 04:25 #481646 by indianajames
Replied by indianajames on topic Dyna Beads
thank you steel , i can understand not believing these things work when weights have for many years . but im hear to tell you all the fluid works flawlessly . supose to seel punctures as well . i just hope to ware out my tires before any suposed corrosion appears . as far as a gooy mess goes , open one side of the bead from the tire and hose it out , might need to wash the rim anyhow . the older balancing liquid was really messy , had to use solvent to clean out .

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
06 Oct 2011 05:21 #481651 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Dyna Beads

purple_haze wrote: i just fill my tires with skittles instead, that way if i get a blowout i dont get mad because i know i will have a tasty treat

Cool! I get a flat and I can taste the rainbow!!!! :woohoo:

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
06 Oct 2011 08:59 #481662 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Dyna Beads
I think it would be informative if someone actually did a real test of Dyna Beads. Take a mounted tire to a shop that can spin balance the tire. First verify how much imbalance is present with no weights or beads. Then install the beads and repeat the test. Just my gut feeling is that the beads will largely be evenly distributed throughout the tire if it is spun at a constant speed due to the centrifugal force. This should do nothing to affect the balance IMO.

I couldn't find an actual copy of the article on the internet or I would have linked it. However, I do find numerous references to a test that MCN documented in their October 2006 issue that used a similar procedure to mine. Their findings were that they had a tire and wheel that required 1.6oz of weight at one spot to balance. The beads had no effect, and the tire machine instructed them to apply the same 1.6oz at the same spot time and again.

I will say from personal experience that 1.6oz is quite a bit of imbalance in a motorcycle tire and rim. I don't recall having to use that much weight on any of the tires I have balanced. However, I don't have a spin balancer. I'm using a static balancer that just allows the tire to bottom out on the heavy spot. I don't experience any significant vibes on any tires that I have balanced by using weights.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
06 Oct 2011 09:05 #481664 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dyna Beads

testarossa wrote: I think it would be informative if someone actually did a real test of Dyna Beads. Take a mounted tire to a shop that can spin balance the tire. First verify how much imbalance is present with no weights or beads. Then install the beads and repeat the test. Just my gut feeling is that the beads will largely be evenly distributed throughout the tire if it is spun at a constant speed due to the centrifugal force. This should do nothing to affect the balance IMO.

+1 Setting up such a test should be easy to do and would show if the beads eliminate the imbalance. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)