started project mayhem today

More
03 Oct 2011 02:19 - 03 Oct 2011 02:40 #481113 by rthistle52
started project mayhem today was created by rthistle52

:evil: so I started project mayhem today. Its a 78kz650c that I picked up for 150.00. Four hours later it was running Not well but running I been toying with the idea of another complete build for a few years now and this was the bike for the job. I have never build my own frame before always got lucky and found one but this time I what to back half this frame. I can weld fair enough and now I want to know what is the easiest way to do it butyet still be safe. Im on a budget lol wife said I can't spend more then a couple hundred or get rid of it and buy one that is already done! So what is the easiest. cheapest. But THE SAFEST WAY.

you must first cut it up and weld it back together to be custom! Off the shelf parts only means its not factory. Get crazy cut it up and ready make it yours a true custom!
Last edit: 03 Oct 2011 02:40 by rthistle52.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2011 01:32 #481426 by rthistle52
Replied by rthistle52 on topic started project mayhem today
:whistle: I made a mistake it is a 79 KZ650c not a 78 sorry

you must first cut it up and weld it back together to be custom! Off the shelf parts only means its not factory. Get crazy cut it up and ready make it yours a true custom!

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
05 Oct 2011 02:29 #481437 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic started project mayhem today
OK, let me see if I got the jist. You want to "back half" the frame, build the bike and only spend a couple of hundred $$$? Forgive my ignorance, what exactly is back halfing a frame? If the bike runs and your only cost is welding consumables and some mild steel, sure; A couple benjamins might do it. I'll warn you though, as soon as you start changing things from stock, its a slippery slope. One change necessitates another, and before you know it the whole bike is custom :laugh: So, might you be able to be a little more specific in what you want to do to the frame and bike?

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
05 Oct 2011 11:35 #481485 by purple_haze
Replied by purple_haze on topic started project mayhem today
whats that? half my frame is missing? wtf? i think ive been back-halfed!! ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!
skol vikes!!

the trouble with you is the trouble with me, you got two good eyes but still dont see...
jerry

More
05 Oct 2011 13:08 #481501 by rthistle52
I basicily chopped off the frame from the engine cradle back and welded in my own hardtail section. I let the swingarm on so that it tracks true and this ain't my first rodeo done this a time or two

More
05 Oct 2011 21:01 #481579 by payaso
Replied by payaso on topic started project mayhem today
its not your first rodeo but you dont know how to align a rear wheel? forgive me for my sarcasm, too each his own, i just think most jap bobbers are a waste of a good bike, if you want a hardtail, build a real hardtail, if you want to use the swingarm just use struts, if you want to look cool for the nieghborhood kids, buy a harley

More
06 Oct 2011 12:23 #481696 by rthistle52
Well I'm just doing the back half right now because that's what my wife wanted for her first bike. I own a harley 72 shovelhead and it is a real head turner for sure but I have a real love for kz's and gs's aswell I been riding for over 35 years now and one thing I have come to know about people and bikes is that as many there are there twice as many ideas as how they should be. So as for your ideas on how your bike should be is great for you as for what I think well I really dont care what others think about it . Im not doing this for any one else but me Or in this case my wife who thinks this is a great idea. But I'm happy you think and feel diffrent then I do, otherwise this would be one hell of a boring place. Happy trails and enjoy the ride that what really counts.

More
06 Oct 2011 20:20 #481774 by purple_haze
Replied by purple_haze on topic started project mayhem today
well said, cant wait to see some pics

the trouble with you is the trouble with me, you got two good eyes but still dont see...
jerry

More
18 Oct 2011 07:04 #483917 by rthistle52
well here are a couple of pictures so far

Attachments:

More
18 Oct 2011 12:31 #483940 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic started project mayhem today
We like pictures on here. We really like big pictures though so we can see everything! :woohoo:
As for your request, have you checked out the projects section? There are SO many build threads of people doing the exact same thing as you want, I'm sure you could get plenty of ideas.
Porchev914 was right about the steel and the welding consumables, but it's also the metal fab skills you have, and the tools you have access to. I was trying to look at your pictures to grab your vision, but bigger would help. If I understand correctly, you just want to hard tail the bike? Or hard tail it, but with suspension? There was an article that Patton posted before showing people how to "Kong" their frame: www.hondachopper.com/garage/konging/konging.html It might be an option for you, as I don't think it's too pricey to pull off. I'm pretty sure you use what you cut, but you may have to bend some tube to get the look and shape you want.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive