REAR BRAKES

More
02 Oct 2011 14:28 #480948 by M. WATKINS
REAR BRAKES was created by M. WATKINS
Hi all,

so i am working on my 1977 kz 650 which was purchased after being stood for numerous years.

The rear brake, (single disc), was seized solid from the brake pedal pivot all the way through to the caliper. I stripped the brake front to back, i took apart the rear master cylinder and its was full up of solid crud, which has been thoroughly removed and cleaned, the MC bore was not too pitted and was cleaned up, the seal and piston cup where also in good condition and have been re-used in the rebuild.
the problem i have is that the fluid does not seem to be making its way to the hose union, i can completely remove the hose at the MC end and there is no fluid to be seen. On pumping the brake pedal with my finger over the hose hole, i can feel both suction and pressure being generated by the MC piston, however i still get no fluid to appear ?

am i completely missing a trick here?

any help as always gratefully accepted.

thanks,

Matt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2011 15:06 #480959 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic REAR BRAKES
I’ve never experience that problem, but here’s a suggestion you may want to consider. It sounds like you may have air trapped in a way that keeps the fluid from being drawn through when you pump the brake or possible some spec of crud clogging an orifice. If you fill a big syringe like the one in the picture with brake fluid, and connect it to the outlet side of the master cylinder you should be able to charge the plunger, orifice, etc. with brake fluid and if there is any crud clogging the orifice you may dislodge it. Ed

Attachment IMG_2491.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Oct 2011 20:11 - 02 Oct 2011 20:13 #481046 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic REAR BRAKES
Master cylinder ports plugged still, sounds like. Between the reservoir and the bore Two holes there, are they clear? Did you replace those Old worn rubber pieces? Cups, seals, etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 02 Oct 2011 20:13 by Motor Head.

More
02 Oct 2011 21:33 #481053 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic REAR BRAKES

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Oct 2011 02:55 #481117 by M. WATKINS
Replied by M. WATKINS on topic REAR BRAKES
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas...I have completely gone through the master cylinder and cleaned every hole and fluid passage in there, I am 100% sure that there is no more crud or debris in there...I did not replace the internal seals or cup as I wanted to get it back on there to use to pump out the seized caliper piston.

Also the fact that I am getting the suction and pressure effect when I hold my finger on the mc outlet indicates that the holes are clear inside...

I could try the suggestion of charging the mc with fluid from the exit hole with a syringe of fluid.

Any other ideas I could try in case?

Thanks again,

Matt.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
03 Oct 2011 03:02 #481119 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic REAR BRAKES
Open the bleeder valve on the caliper and then try to pump to get fluid through (if you haven't been trying it this way). If you don't bleed the air out of the line, You will never get any fluid through it.

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
05 Oct 2011 14:08 #481507 by M. WATKINS
Replied by M. WATKINS on topic REAR BRAKES
Just an update on the rear mc problem above. I removed it again to triple check it was all clear, interesting thing. - when the mc is upright as in it's intended position on the bike, the piston does not produce much pressure when pushed in, however if I tilt the mc on it's side and depress the piston it produces significantly more pressure.......ideas anyone.

P.s. The mc is clear of debris and all fluid holes and passages are clear.

Thanks all.