done riding for this year

• redneckcarrow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2011 22:52 - 01 Oct 2011 22:53 #480853 by redneckcarrow
done riding for this year was created by redneckcarrow
went to go for one last good ride on bike got 6 miles from house stoped at red light and snap broke clutch cable got turned around and by starting bike in gear got it back home so i guess thats another thing to add to list for this winter

later guys

ps changed avatar what you guys think B)

1980 kz 550 ltd stock
Last edit: 01 Oct 2011 22:53 by redneckcarrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2011 23:30 #480865 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic done riding for this year
Clutch cable replacement is a 30 minute job. I wouldn't stop riding yet unless you live in Deadhorse Alaska.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
01 Oct 2011 23:50 #480870 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic done riding for this year
Or Deadkow Alaska...

I'll be here all week. Try the veal. :lol:

:sick: I guess I'm just bored.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Oct 2011 10:27 #480915 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic done riding for this year

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• redneckcarrow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Oct 2011 20:28 #481577 by redneckcarrow
Replied by redneckcarrow on topic done riding for this year
The clutch cable not the only reason. It was just the last thing to add to the list for this winter. Fork seals leaking, plus engine oil leak got a lot worse. Believe its the valve cover gasket. Need to check valve clearense. Ihink I hear them once in awhile, the front brake likes to stick partially on when its used. Think its the master cylander and last but not least got a rear shock leaking.

But can't complain, first summer with bike license along with first bike; which I got by changing a motor in buddies truck. So have no money really in bike and know was going to have to do some stuff to it this winter and had a ball riding it this summer.

Went to Z1 Enteprise to find parts. Found everything except valve cover gasket. Found top end kit but hoping it doesn't need that (going to check compression before disasemble), will send them email for help when ready. One note, whole lot cheaper then kawi dealer told me.

Hopefuly going to paint it and change some small things while its down.

So chow for now guys.

Ps: thought of another reason not to fix and ride right away, I live in Maine and its getting damn cold in the mornings on the way to work.

1980 kz 550 ltd stock

More
18 Oct 2011 12:42 #483943 by lambert II
Replied by lambert II on topic done riding for this year
wow your scenario sounds just like mine....i just parked mine for the year, blew the rear air shocks, front only hold air for about 45 min, and clutch started feeling funny all of a sudden, so i pu;l;led over and noticed it only had a single strand holding it in place..... amazingly it held till pulling into my driveway, and snapped when i was right behind my van...im sure youcan guess how that ended, luckily no damage to the bike though....

82 kz1100d1 spectre

• redneckcarrow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2011 18:16 #484174 by redneckcarrow
Replied by redneckcarrow on topic done riding for this year
yea i can guess how that went luckly for me i was all ready stoped at traffic light behind a full size pickup it just stalled

1980 kz 550 ltd stock

More
19 Oct 2011 21:27 #484209 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic done riding for this year

RonKZ650 wrote: Clutch cable replacement is a 30 minute job. I wouldn't stop riding yet unless you live in Deadhorse Alaska.

I made it to Deadhorse, AK on a LTD550! Check out the link in my signature. :laugh:

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
19 Oct 2011 21:28 #484210 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic done riding for this year

redneckcarrow wrote: The clutch cable not the only reason. It was just the last thing to add to the list for this winter. Fork seals leaking, plus engine oil leak got a lot worse. Believe its the valve cover gasket. Need to check valve clearense. Ihink I hear them once in awhile, the front brake likes to stick partially on when its used. Think its the master cylander and last but not least got a rear shock leaking.

But can't complain, first summer with bike license along with first bike; which I got by changing a motor in buddies truck. So have no money really in bike and know was going to have to do some stuff to it this winter and had a ball riding it this summer.

Went to Z1 Enteprise to find parts. Found everything except valve cover gasket. Found top end kit but hoping it doesn't need that (going to check compression before disasemble), will send them email for help when ready. One note, whole lot cheaper then kawi dealer told me.

Hopefuly going to paint it and change some small things while its down.

So chow for now guys.

Ps: thought of another reason not to fix and ride right away, I live in Maine and its getting damn cold in the mornings on the way to work.

Z1 will definitely have a valve cover gasket you can get. Being completely honest, sometimes their website isn't the most search-friendly. I wish there was a way to filter your search results. Anyway, worst case scenario- shoot them an email, they'll get back to you right away with the part number.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
20 Oct 2011 00:01 #484229 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic done riding for this year

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote: Clutch cable replacement is a 30 minute job. I wouldn't stop riding yet unless you live in Deadhorse Alaska.

I made it to Deadhorse, AK on a LTD550! Check out the link in my signature. :laugh:

That's quite the impressive ride. Great job! I wish I could do it. I got interested in Deadhorse when John Ryan did his ultimate cross country run from Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay to Key West in I believe like 84 hrs. Around 5300 miles give or take in 84 hours if memory serves.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.