Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 05:22 #47958

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
And again about my kz1000...sheesh will I ever stop... Anyway, I'm replacing the chain and sprockets. I've got shiny new ones from Z1 enterprises . I should mention that I'm doing the 530 conversion.

My trouble is the front sprocket doesn't have the tiny hole that the tabbed washer should fit into. Can I do without it, or did I order the wrong sprocket?

Second, I can't seem to make the master link work. I have the one with the tiny clip (not the one that requires a chain breaker to install).
However, I can't seem to get the side plate down over the pins far enough to get the reatining clip on! I'm obviously missing technique.

thanks for the help...Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 06:02 #47969

• TonyKZ1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Sam, on the masterlink, I've had this same problem. I was told to take a small round file and gently file out the holes in the side plate, just enough to make it slide onto the pins.
Tony
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, a Scottoiler system. My Mileage Tracker Page

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 07:42 #47978

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks. I was thinking about that but I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

Sam

TonyKZ1 wrote:

Hello Sam, on the masterlink, I've had this same problem. I was told to take a small round file and gently file out the holes in the side plate, just enough to make it slide onto the pins.
Tony

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 08:13 #47980

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Sam...just make sure You install the master-link correctly(proper direction)...as the link comes to the top of the chain,heading towards the front sprocket...the rounded end,not the open end,should be headed in the direction of the front sprocket.B)
You probably knew that,but just to be sure,Bud.
As far as that hole for the lock-washer tab not being in the sprocket?...You NEED to lock that washer down!
Now I've never had a sprocket that didn't have a hole IN it,but I DO remember when I had the problem of that washer coming loose(the tab broke off),and My front sprocket walking right off the shaft...SO...do You drill a hole in the sprocket for the tab to drop into?...I think so,but like I said...I've never had that problem.What do You Guys think?
1977 KZ1000 A-1

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 09:14 #47987

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Either get another sprocket with the hole, or drill the hole, or use loctite to keep the nut on.

As far as the master link clip, I'll bet you have an o-ring chain, those things are a bear to get the link closed up enough to put the clip on. I usually use a pair of needle nose vise grips to squeeze the link plate closed enough to get the clip on.
KD9JUR

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 11:42 #48010

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
My sprocket didn't have a hole, so I had to Loctite the nut. 3600+ miles and it's still on tight.

I remember the nut coming off on my old H2, the sprocket spun on the shaft until I stopped.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 15:07 #48050

• gas
  • User
Sorry, I didn't use one of those clips for my new chain. I also got a drive sprocket without the hole. I just went to home hardware or something and got a large thin washer. I think it was called a banjo washer or something, can't remember. I took my hand drill and ground the center out a bit more, then I ground the whole thing flatter. After installation I bent the washer over the nut at three points with a steel center punch and hammer. It isn't pretty, but who sees it? This sucker is heavy duty and won't be going anywere because it is steel. I couldn't find a suitable aluminum washer. It probably cost 10 cents.

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 18:55 #48110

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
If I'm understanding this correctly Chris...what's actually stopping the whole WORKS from coming loose?
Good idea on bending the edges of the washer up the sides of the nut,but what holds the washer from loosening off?...or did I miss something here,Bud?
I remember making My own lock-washer in an emergency situation,but it TOO,eventually let go,and luckily for Me,the nut layed down nicely on the inside of the cover...thank God!
I think red loctite would hold it together though.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 20:21 #48134

• gas
  • User
Sandy wrote:

If I'm understanding this correctly Chris...what's actually stopping the whole WORKS from coming loose?
Good idea on bending the edges of the washer up the sides of the nut,but what holds the washer from loosening off?...or did I miss something here,Bud?
I remember making My own lock-washer in an emergency situation,but it TOO,eventually let go,and luckily for Me,the nut layed down nicely on the inside of the cover...thank God!
I think red loctite would hold it together though.

Excellent point Sandy and you sure stopped me in my tracks for a minute there.:blink: :woohoo: I totally forgot that this replacement drive sprocket (sunstar I think) was one of those half arsed universal or multibike applicable deals. It had two holes in it actually. One on each side of the shaft after mounting. When I did up that washer, I actually ground down opposite sides and left "ears" or a projection out on each side. I then bent these in to fit into the predrilled holes. Ya, my brain fart has passed and I remember now. I think the parts guy said the sprocket was drilled to be used by Suzuki/Hondas also. So actually it came out kind of better than my original washer with that one little tab that stops it from moving. 6 hours sleep last night.;)

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 17 May 2006 21:37 #48154

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Now THAT make more sense!...lol...You had Me WORRIED,there Bud!:ohmy:
Yup...that little issue can cause SO much hassle,if it goes unattended...trust Me...I learned!:lol:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

New chain and sprockets - need a litle advice 18 May 2006 10:39 #48238

• gas
  • User
I've learned that I still have a lot to learn, so I will keep learning from the learned learners that also continue learning........Sam I am.:P

• Page: