Master Cylinder issues?

More
18 Sep 2011 00:18 #477568 by GhostShip
Master Cylinder issues? was created by GhostShip
I just picked up my first KZ bike. I have always rode Hondas and Yamahas. I like it so far. It is a 18978 KZ650SR. It has dual front disc brakes. The brakes were spongy so I went to bleed the brakes again. When I took apart the master cylinder I noticed that the gasket was ripped and the entire cylinder was a mess. I decided to throw on a new master cylinder because I don't want to wait for a rebuild kit since I would like to ride before it snows (I live in Cleveland...it could happen). I threw on an aftermarket master cylinder. i bled the brakes, I am positive that there was no air in the lines. I cannot get the pressure in the lever to build back up. I went through these things a hundred times. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe my master cylinder isn't big enough for the dual system? Is that possible? Or am I missing something? I've never had a dual front disc, so i don't know the systems that well. Thank you for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Sep 2011 00:39 #477570 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Master Cylinder issues?
bleeding brakes can be a major drag to say the least!
put a piece of clear vinyl hose like they use on fish tanks on the bleeder valve and watch for bubbles as you bleed the brakes.
ive had to pump the hell out of the lever and zip tie it down to the bar to keep pressure on it overnight then crack the valves open plenty of times to get pressure to start in system before B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Sep 2011 10:27 - 18 Sep 2011 10:28 #477625 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Master Cylinder issues?
I use a pressure bleeder (KD-2222). It pushes fluid from the tank through the M/C to the bleeders. One nice thing is that you can open both front bleeders at the same time and let 'er flow until clean fluid comes out both sides. I made the adapter from an old M/C cap. If you can find a friend with a service station they may have one of these units. If so, all you need to do is make an adapter. Let me know if you need help with that. My wife bought this for me as a Christmas present years ago so I can do the brakes on our cars and truck without needing her to pump the brake pedals. :laugh: Ed

Attachment CapTank.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2011 10:28 by 650ed.

More
21 Sep 2011 12:24 #478308 by GhostShip
Replied by GhostShip on topic Master Cylinder issues?
Thanks for the help guys! It ended up being that the master cylinder was too small for dual calipers. I just took one of them off, problem solved. haha