Brake Pad Wear

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Sep 2011 09:13 #474589 by Topper
Brake Pad Wear was created by Topper
My front brake has been squeeking and I thought it a good idea to inspect the pads for wear. My manual says to replace them when they are worn down to the "red line" on the pad. There's a pic that shows the side of the pads with a thin red line. At least I assume it's red, the manual is all b/w.

Anyway, my pads have no such line. Any specs on pad thickness I can consult?

This is for a 1979 KZ750.

Thanks.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2011 13:38 - 06 Sep 2011 13:41 #474631 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Brake Pad Wear
There isn't a single pad thickness number that's useful. Each pad in the pair are different, and your front pad set is different than the rear. Looking at the edge of the pad, the "A" pad (this is the pad that the caliper piston pushes on) has a thicker reserve area than the "B" pad (this is the dead pad that is mounted in the bracket). The reason the "A" pad has a thicker cross section is that it has a metal backplate recessed into the back of the pad but pad "B" is bonded to the surface of its backplate. In the links below are eBay pics of pad "A" and pad "B". If you enlarge the pics you can see the recessed red line on each pad is an equal distance from the surface of the pad that contacts the disk, but not an equal distance from the back of the pad. IMO your best bet is to try to track down front and rear sets of new old stock (NOS) Kawasaki pads. You can then use them to judge when your pads need to be replaced and you will already have them on hand when the time comes.

PAD A
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KZ1000-...&hash=item230dcda548

PAD B
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-KAWASAKI-KZ7...&hash=item2c569bd09a

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 06 Sep 2011 13:41 by 650ed.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Sep 2011 14:27 #474647 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Brake Pad Wear
Thanks. Well there's plenty of pad left on both my pads and I've got a set of replacements waiting for when it's time to replace them. Neither the pads on the bike or the replacements I picked up show the red line. I guess I'll just have to inspect the pads regularly and use my best judgement.

Something else must be causing the squeaking.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
06 Sep 2011 15:15 #474654 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Brake Pad Wear
Some pads will make noise when light brake pressure is applied, others squeel like something is being killed.

I think there is a anti-squeel compound you apply to the back side of the pads, it forms a cushion between the pistons and brake pads. Most auto parts stores have it:

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Sep 2011 16:16 #474670 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Brake Pad Wear
Thanks. I haven't heard of the kind that goes behind the pad. I've heard of the stuff you put on the pads or disks. I was leary of those as anything that messes with the friction between the pads and disk seemed like a bad idea.

I'll check my local auto store for a product like you described.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
06 Sep 2011 16:42 #474678 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Brake Pad Wear
aftermarket pads squeal because they lack the "squeal shims" on the back. As for final pad thickness: I have seen specs like about .060", but I don't run them down that far. more like 0.10" but they don't wear evenly so check the thinnest point.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Sep 2011 16:44 - 06 Sep 2011 16:46 #474681 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Brake Pad Wear

Topper wrote: Thanks. I haven't heard of the kind that goes behind the pad. I've heard of the stuff you put on the pads or disks. I was leary of those as anything that messes with the friction between the pads and disk seemed like a bad idea.

I'll check my local auto store for a product like you described.

I have used the stuff that goes on the back of the pad before, it usually works for about a week or two. Then the caliper piston cuts through it and the interface is metal-to-metal again and the squeal comes back.

I have never tried the stuff applied to the friction surface. I assume it changes the coefficient of friction?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Sep 2011 16:46 by bountyhunter.