Upper fork caps stuck

More
06 Sep 2011 02:50 #474518 by badfish
Upper fork caps stuck was created by badfish
First off, I'm new here. so..."Hi everyone"! I have a 79' 650sr with 8000 original miles. Bike is in great shape overall. The problem I'm having is the fork caps. They are the 1/2" drive square caps. I loosened the upper triple tree and had a 3' 1/2" drive ratchet on them. They did not budge! I put considerable force on them and they almost act frozen. Any ideas here? Any of you run into this same problem? I'm guessing they have never been removed. No marks on them and the fork seals leak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2011 05:29 #474543 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Upper fork caps stuck
I use a air impact wrench. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
06 Sep 2011 06:00 #474545 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Upper fork caps stuck
Ive had that same issue with screw in frost plugs/galley plugs on cast iron engine blocks before,sometimes this trick works.
remove top triple tree,then heat up the area of the tube directly around the plug with a propane torch.
while youre heating the tube/cap take a wax candle and rub it around the area where cap threads into fork tube,let the heated tube melt the wax till it runs in around the threads.
then try breaking the cap loose B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
06 Sep 2011 06:27 #474550 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Upper fork caps stuck
Could also try applying dry ice directly to the cap immediately before attempting to remove it.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Sep 2011 08:49 #474580 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Upper fork caps stuck
I would soak them with Kroil for a couple days, make sure the upper pinch bolts are loose, and give it another try. I'm not trying to sound like a salesman, but Kroil really does an amazing job freeing up frozen fasteners. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Sep 2011 21:34 #474975 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic Upper fork caps stuck
do you have the front wheel off ground?
you got to take weight off springs first or YOU will get a face full of spring and oil not good!!

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21