Front tire/fork alignment issues ...

More
03 Sep 2011 18:38 #474069 by barquirt
Front tire/fork alignment issues ... was created by barquirt
I have a 1974 KZ400 that i'm working on. One of the fork tubes was bent (oooch) so i installed a new set from Frank's Engineering. BUT, after i bolt everything up the front wheel is obviously pointing to the right a good amount. So where do i check next for issues? I know the fork tubes are straight. Axle bent? Triple trees? This bike has been off the road since '85.

I've check to make sure spacers, etc. are all there in and in the right places. Just wondering if I've put good money towards a bad end. :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
03 Sep 2011 18:58 #474073 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Front tire/fork alignment issues ...
If you tightened up the tubes in the triple tree evenly, then I might suspect that the triple tree is tweaked...clearly the bike has been in an accident. If this is the case, then you might have to replace the triple tree...convince yourself the triple tree is the culprit before you replace it, though. Make sure it is not the anterior part of the frame that the triple tree inserts into...that situation would be the worst case scenario. A bent triple tree is not a huge issue and a replacement could be located used on eBay.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
03 Sep 2011 19:01 #474074 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Front tire/fork alignment issues ...
Tried loosening up all the fasteners? Then put a little twist to the front end by placing your legs on either side of the front wheel with your hnd on the handlebars. Don't forget to re-tighten up all of the bolts,& screws when done.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Sep 2011 21:00 - 22 Jan 2013 04:34 #474088 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic .
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 04:34 by martin_csr.

More
07 Sep 2011 22:18 #474992 by barquirt
Replied by barquirt on topic Front tire/fork alignment issues ...
:S
OK. So the OLD right fork tube is bent where it exits the lower triple clamp. If I line it up with a new fork tube, it is about 1/2 inch bent back from straight. SO ... can i use the old fork tubes to try and flex the triple clamps back into a decent setup? Or should i just head for the salvage yard and find another set? Anyone tried to re-straighten a clamp this way?

I placed the upper clamp on a flat smooth glass tabletop and it doesn't rock, seems flat. The lowers not real sure if that test will work.

Thoughts, anyone?