Another Mag to Spokes question - Hub and damper

More
02 Sep 2011 14:27 #473781 by Lucid
78kz650b, had 16in mag and 19in mag from the previous owner. I got a great looking set of 18in/19in spokes off ebay. The front monted just fine.

The rear I wil need a new axle (on the way), but the hub and damper won't transfer over to the spoke wheels. The one from the 16in mag is much bigger and beefier, like 4mm all the way around.

Does anyone have a hub and damper from the 18in spoke rear, or can you guys point me in the direction of which to buy? I'm not sure if the spokes came off a B, C, D, what year, etc. so I'm not sure what to look for on ebay. Also some sellers aren't exactly sure, and I don't want to deal with shipping stuff back when it comes and it's from a 16in mag or something.

Thanks!
The bike looks 100x better even with just the front on, so I cant wait to get the rear together.

78 KZ650B Cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
02 Sep 2011 15:59 #473832 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Another Mag to Spokes question - Hub and damper
I had the same problem but going the other way. I got in contact with a seller on ebay who goes by sudmanracing1 who got me straight the first time. You might be able to get hold of him through ebay. It's worth a shot.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Sep 2011 18:11 #473870 by wireman
needs a new rear axle? have you tried swapping your rear wheel bearings from your old wheel to the new wheel?
front wheel and axle are same on 650/900/1000 up to 80 anyway,900/1000 have a bigger rear axle and bearings than 650.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Sep 2011 19:09 #473883 by Lucid
Test I'll try to get a hold of that guy, thanks!

And wire, maybe the previous owner had 1k wheels on it or something but the axle is bigger. I've got smaller ones coming and a swingarm to accommodate the smaller axle diameter, but my main problem is the hub being so big from the 16in rear.

78 KZ650B Cafe

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Sep 2011 22:04 #473913 by wireman
you might be able to just swap bearings between wheels B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.