Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?

More
02 Sep 2011 04:41 #473721 by fxdl2051
I opened up the front master cylinder to replace the plunger on my 79 KZ1000ST's front master cylinder. Bleech!,goo to go in there. Washed in alcohol which got rid of the 30 years of sediment, but, there seems to be some hardened crude deposits on the inside of the cylinder bore. These are not coming off with an alcohol soak and I'm afraid to sand or scrub the cheap pot metal in case I make matters worse. Any good chemical product I can use to get that stuff out that won't destroy the paint on the out side of the cylinder?
This winter I'd like to redo the outside of the master cylinder with some surface treatment that's impervious to DOT 3 brake fluid. Any suggestions, I'd like to keep it stock black if possible?
Thanks upfront,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2011 05:10 #473724 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?
There may be better methods, but I've enjoyed success by carefully and gently wet-sanding the bores with ultra-fine wet-or-dry sand paper.

I call this "dressing the bore," which removes any high spots that may have resulted from pitting. Just leave the pits alone, which are hopefully benign enough to allow master cylinder operation without leaking fluid.

The rubber cups may be carefully cleaned, and if not torn, may sometimes be re-used satisfactorily and without leaking.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Sep 2011 05:12 #473725 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?
bottle brush and brake cleaner? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Sep 2011 20:48 #473903 by kawman66
Replied by kawman66 on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?
I used a small wheel cylinder hone on mine olny took two quick passes.

75 z1b
76 kz900ltd
76 kz900
76 kz900-1500
77 kz1000ltd

my drinking team has a racing problem

More
24 Sep 2011 23:56 #479331 by fxdl2051
Replied by fxdl2051 on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?
Went with your recomendation, the pitting and rust came clean and the cylinder seems to be working ok now. Still not great braking, think I'll do the calipers this winter and replace brake lines with braided.
ss^
Ken

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Sep 2011 00:14 - 25 Sep 2011 00:16 #479336 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?
They make Ball hones in the small brake cylinder size, say 16mm or 5/8". That's what I use. If it doesn't clean up then two choices, replace it or sleeve it. Then always use a new set of cups, buy the rebuild kit.
doing the caliper/s at the same time would be recommended, as well as a new brake line. these bikes are pretty old, and this is an area that would be overlooked on most used bikes.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 25 Sep 2011 00:16 by Motor Head.

More
25 Sep 2011 01:20 #479353 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?
DOT 3 VS DOT 4 Brake Fluid

I just flushed my brake lines with new DOT 3 fluid only to find out that the master cylinder has a leak. Instead of rebuilding the master cylinder, I bought a 'newer' used MC off of ebay, but it calls for DOT 4 instead of DOT 3! D'oh! Well, I've heard that 3 & 4 are very similar and I'm wondering how thoroughly I need to flush the DOT 3 fluid out of the brake lines? Can I just 'push' the DOT 3 fluid out by adding DOT 4 to the master cylinder and pump until I think I have all of the DOT 3 out of the lines? How would you do it?

...Can I just 'push' the DOT 3 fluid out by adding DOT 4 to the master cylinder and pump until I think I have all of the DOT 3 out of the lines? How would you do it?

YES. That method is just fine. Same for the routine "flushes" without requiring re-bleeding from scratch.

I use a rubber squeeze syringe to remove most of the existing reservoir fluid, but leaving the bottom ports covered with fluid so as to avoid air entering the line. Then fill with new fresh fluid, pump it through (always leaving the bottom ports covered with fluid so as to avoid air entering the line) and repeat refilling and pumping until the new fresh fluid exits the bleeder valve.

Patton

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
25 Sep 2011 03:16 #479359 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Cleaning crude from master cylinder bore?

fxdl2051 wrote: Still not great braking...

Sounds like you might need to bleed them.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...