sandblasting question

More
31 Aug 2011 00:49 #473094 by Lazyman06
sandblasting question was created by Lazyman06
Had the frame sandblasted over the weekend, and when I got it back it felt like the whole thing was covered in a really fine sandpaper. Is this normal?

1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2011 00:55 #473095 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic sandblasting question
Your frame needs a good washing now to remove the grit residue. If possible after washing,use an air nozzle to remove any water as it will quickly get surface rust. Going to have it painted soon?

After painting,remember to get some M6 X 1 taps and clean out the many grounding places on the frame, otherwise the electrics may be intermittent.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 Aug 2011 04:14 #473154 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic sandblasting question
Is it a layer of dust or is the actual tubing really rough?If the tubing itself is really rough it might take a few coats of primer and some wet sanding to smooth it out.
Did they use actual sand to blast it or glass beads?
Sand is really rough stuff to blast with.Ive got an old truck cab ive been slowly stripping over last couple weeks,Im using glass beads on the heavily rusted areas and baking soda on the better areas so i dont tear it up too much B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
31 Aug 2011 08:59 - 31 Aug 2011 09:01 #473193 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic sandblasting question

Lazyman06 wrote: Had the frame sandblasted over the weekend, and when I got it back it felt like the whole thing was covered in a really fine sandpaper. Is this normal?

It is normal for sandblasting; but sandblasting is not a good method to use on motorcycles or anything else on which a smooth finish is desired because it is too abrasive. It is generally used to refinish stone or brick or to blast rust off heavy steel surfaces (like a ship's hull). Here's a pic that shows what finish is left on metal after sandblasting:

Attachment Sandblast.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2011 09:01 by 650ed.

More
31 Aug 2011 10:10 #473198 by Saggs
Replied by Saggs on topic sandblasting question
I've done alot of blasting and car resto work. They probably used a pretty abrasive media maybe black beauty or somthing? I would use some 180 or 220 wet/dry sandpaper to smooth down the frame, it wont take long by hand. There's a great product called "Picklex 20" that is a mild spray on acid used to protect bare metal and prevent rust. It can be painted over and increases weld strength, great stuff for any metal that may be bare for awhile. I spray this on and then wipe off w/ a towel.If you dont want to do the hand sanding treatment you could take it somewhere to get it bead blasted w/ a fine glass bead or plastic media. That would smooth it right out.;)

More
31 Aug 2011 10:53 #473209 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic sandblasting question

Saggs wrote: I've done alot of blasting and car resto work. They probably used a pretty abrasive media maybe black beauty or somthing? I would use some 180 or 220 wet/dry sandpaper to smooth down the frame, it wont take long by hand. There's a great product called "Picklex 20" that is a mild spray on acid used to protect bare metal and prevent rust. It can be painted over and increases weld strength, great stuff for any metal that may be bare for awhile. I spray this on and then wipe off w/ a towel.If you dont want to do the hand sanding treatment you could take it somewhere to get it bead blasted w/ a fine glass bead or plastic media. That would smooth it right out.;)

+1

Those commercial blasters just want to get the paint off and get your frame out the door. Just hit it with some sandpaper.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
31 Aug 2011 19:40 #473344 by Lazyman06
Replied by Lazyman06 on topic sandblasting question
Appreciate it guys. now I just gotta do the swing arm and then off to do some painting :woohoo:

1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine