'81 KZ1000 Cafe/Track Racer Questions

More
26 Aug 2011 10:13 #471911 by Kwschin
'81 KZ1000 Cafe/Track Racer Questions was created by Kwschin
Have an '81 KZ1000 project bike, that I bought to do as a Cafe or Track racer. So far, other than riding a little and then stripping down, I've chopped the frame off, just past the shock mounts. Each time I look at the bike, I think "The Tank is Too Big." So, first question, anyone recommend a tank that will fit the triple tube frame?

Second item I would like to clean up is the upper triple clamp. I'm not going to run the "Steam Guages" so I'd like a cleaner triple clamp. Any suggestions on one that would work?

And lastly, the rear sprocket is from the days of 55mph maximum speeds, so it's gotta go. Need a source for sprockets and chain that will bring her up to par with the 70mph speed limits of today.

Thanks to all for any help.

Keith Schindler
South Central Texas
2009 Voyager
2003 Nomad
1980 KZ1000E
1978 Honda Hawk
1981 KZ1000 Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2011 20:03 #472658 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic '81 KZ1000 Cafe/Track Racer Questions
I ran into the same issue with my 82 KZ1000 LTD. I did quite a bit of research and there aren't many direct fit tanks. Our's are pretty much the same, as well as the cop bikes which fortuantely there are a million of. I think that possibly the squarish 1100 tanks of the same vintage might fit?? But I would do some research to make sure. I guess one could cut the tunnel off their exsisting tank, and then graft it into a smaller more aerodynamic one, but that far surpasses my fab skills.

Sorry no help on the triples.

Z1 enterprises has a good selection of chains and sprockets. Give em a call and tell em what you want to do with the sprockets, and they can help you sort it out.

Good luck!

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
29 Aug 2011 20:24 #472667 by Kwschin
Replied by Kwschin on topic '81 KZ1000 Cafe/Track Racer Questions
Hey, thanks for the bit of info. Hadn't thought about police bikes, wonder if the tank's a bit bigger. I'll check on Z1 and see what they got on the sprockets. Think I got an idea for the triples, involving a cafe or track fairing and a turned aluminum panel to clean up the area above the triples. Going to go with Clip Ons, so I'll use the bar mounts to mount the aluminum plate. Might run an electronic speedo there.

We'll see.

Shin

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Aug 2011 20:41 #472671 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic '81 KZ1000 Cafe/Track Racer Questions
is an 81-82 gpz tank smaller? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.