dragging front brakes

More
25 Aug 2011 05:49 #471616 by miller
dragging front brakes was created by miller
I layes her down on July 3rd and have been putting her back together since, The front tire was real choppey so I changed it out and now the front brakes seem to be dragging??? Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

KZ650 C-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Aug 2011 08:57 #471626 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic dragging front brakes
when installing new pads make sure to clean and depress the push piston in the caliper...thinner old pads let it come out further and get ox/dirt/ it now is jammed by the thicker new pads and dirty wont slide back into its hole..making the new pads ride the rotor...also check for the bolts that clamp the two caliper halfs together,they need lube to let the caliper floater side to slide and clamp nice

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
25 Aug 2011 09:58 #471635 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic dragging front brakes
If the only thing you did was remove and re-install the wheel here's what I would suggest: Raise the front forks off the ground. Spin the wheel to see if it is dragging. If it is, remove the left brake caliper from the fork and spin the wheel to see if it is still dragging. If it no longer drags, the left side is the side to investigate; if it still drags, remove the right side caliper from the fork and see if the wheel still drags. If it still drags with both calipers removed the problem is not brake related; if removing the right side caliper made it stop dragging, right side is the side to investigate. Assuming you did nothing to the brake calipers, if the problem is brake related you may have done something to a rotor when changing the tire. Check the rotors for runout; they should run true. If the problem is not brake related make sure the speedometer drive (on the axle) and everything else related to the axle are properly installed. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)