Fork seal replacement..Just a Humerous Post?

More
23 Aug 2011 12:38 #471163 by draboo
I got a chuckle out of this..though it DOES sound feasible..:laugh:

advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205643

1983 KZ1100D Spectre shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2011 13:06 #471167 by T_Dub
I love that method!! Looks like it works great, dont even have to take out your fork tube!

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
23 Aug 2011 14:03 #471177 by 650ed
I'm cornfused (again). If the seal held pressure well enough to push itself out of the lower fork leg without leaking when using a jack to create very high pressure, it seems like it sure would not leak under normal use which generates much lower pressure. So why was he replacing it?? :unsure:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Aug 2011 15:30 #471186 by T_Dub
I'm sure it leaked, but if you do it fast enough I'm sure it creates enough pressure to force it out. After all, most fork seal leaks are very slow.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Aug 2011 19:36 #471224 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Fork seal replacement..Just a Humerous Post?
thats a lot more work than just removing the allen head bolt from bottem with an impact! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Aug 2011 20:16 #471231 by draboo

wireman wrote: thats a lot more work than just removing the allen head bolt from bottem with an impact! :woohoo:

'Tis true, but there are some of us (me,being one) who do not have an impact wrench,compressor,airline, and socket to do the job. I don't even have a garage. :(

I took some thin plastic and cleaned between the seal and the fork tube and am hoping I won't have to replace them. If they still leak, I will probably try this method. I do have a small jack and plenty of wood blocks. I m thinking of using ATF instead of oil.

If I do try it,I will post pics,maybe even a video.

Attachment 102_0208.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
24 Aug 2011 09:19 - 21 Feb 2013 17:54 #471413 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 17:54 by martin_csr.

More
24 Aug 2011 10:01 #471418 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Fork seal replacement..Just a Humerous Post?

draboo wrote:

wireman wrote: thats a lot more work than just removing the allen head bolt from bottem with an impact! :woohoo:

'Tis true, but there are some of us (me,being one) who do not have an impact wrench,compressor,airline, and socket to do the job. I don't even have a garage. :(

I took some thin plastic and cleaned between the seal and the fork tube and am hoping I won't have to replace them. If they still leak, I will probably try this method. I do have a small jack and plenty of wood blocks. I m thinking of using ATF instead of oil.

Jeez! It's a freakin' Ewok!

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
24 Aug 2011 11:42 #471437 by draboo

Mcdroid wrote:

draboo wrote:

yea, that's our motorcycle-ridin' little freak, Kiddo! When she "sits pretty" she REALLY looks like one!

Here is one of her on the back of our Spyder.."WHATS THE HOLDUP??"

Thought I d spice up this thread a bit..:)

Attachment pookie2.JPG not found

Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Aug 2011 15:50 #471479 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Fork seal replacement..Just a Humerous Post?

draboo wrote:

Mcdroid wrote:

draboo wrote:

yea, that's our motorcycle-ridin' little freak, Kiddo! When she "sits pretty" she REALLY looks like one!

Here is one of her on the back of our Spyder.."WHATS THE HOLDUP??"

Thought I d spice up this thread a bit..:)

Attachment pookie2.JPG not found

now thats freaking cool,more than makes up for not having a garage! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
19 Sep 2011 12:28 #477870 by draboo
Well..I must report back about my front fork seals! I did clean em out with some pieces of thin plastic, like using THIS .

I first drained the forks for a few days to get the dirty oil out and refilled with some fresh.

It worked like a charm. The leakage has stopped. I used some plastic from a orange juiced jug and cut it to roughly the shape of a sealmate. I did the procedure 3 times on each side. The seals themselves looked in great condition.

So, at the cost of $0.00 and around a half hour labor(15 to 20 minutes digging thru the recycle bin for proper thickness of plastic and cutting to shape, and 10 minutes of actual cleaning), I d give this procedure a "WTH,it can't hurt"! before tearing into a total fork seal replacement.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid