installing brake piston/caliper dust cover...ARRG!

More
17 Aug 2011 14:59 - 17 Aug 2011 15:01 #469551 by draboo
I ve been trying to find a thread about this. I read somewhere,I think it was on this site, about an easy(ier) way to install these PITA's.

HELP!

thanks,eh/

Brad

1983 KZ1100D Spectre shaft
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 15:01 by draboo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Aug 2011 15:27 #469556 by wireman
if its anything like the rear caliper pad/dust cover on a 78-80 1000 the side towards wheel should hook first,then snap the outside on B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Aug 2011 15:33 #469558 by Motor Head
For starters put it in a vice to hold it. Nothing like a good holding fixture. Then with the square O-ring in place, put the dust seal into the caliper also. With some clean brake fluid, lube both at the contact area. Then with a small but dull hook tool in one hand and the piston in the other, get the dust seal started around one side of the piston. Then hold that with one finger of the hand that is holding the piston. Then with the Dull hook tool carefully pull the seal out and up onto the rest of the piston.
Now if you are really lucky to have another hand, or person, you could use an air nozzle to add a small amount of air pressure to the caliper body, which will blow the seal around the piston. Like blowing up a ballon.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
17 Aug 2011 22:28 #469633 by draboo
I GOT EM!

1. slid seal on piston first, but did NOT install in groove, but slid it to the opposite end of the piston as far as possible without falling off(the end of the piston that goes into the cylinder)

2. Inserted the dust cover into the groove all the way around on the caliper with a super small screwdriver. After this was done, I carefully pushed the piston into the caliper until it was all the way in. Then I slid the cover the rest of the way towards the groove in the piston, where it pretty much snapped into place on its own.

3. Brain takes a welcome break.

Next: Do I buy new brake lines? Are 27 yr old ones reliable?

1983 KZ1100D Spectre shaft

More
17 Aug 2011 22:49 #469641 by MFolks
No, the brake lines are way beyond useful life. Ozone and sunlight affect all rubber pieces, that's why tires should be replaced(if not worn out) every 5 years.

Brake Lines
www.galferusa.com/html/ss_line_kits.html
inlinetube.com/
www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm
www.helusa.com (I'm using this brand on my 1982 GPz1100, good braking action)
www.russellperformance.com/metric_two-line.shtml
www.goodridge.co.uk/motorcycle-brake-lines/kawasaki.htm
Brake Line Bleeders
www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm
www.pingelonline.com/brake_bleeder_kit.htm

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: draboo