Mounting tires with directional arrows

• Patton
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
16 Aug 2011 00:34 #469301 by Patton

swapdip wrote: Bob's saved me big time when I bent my rear wheel coming back on a cross country trip on my GV1200... altho they mounted my tire backwards. Serves me right for not checking. Good prices tho.

This post recalls my understanding about mounting motorcycle tires with directional arrows in the sidewalls.

A tire marketed by a tire manufacturer as a "front" tire, when mounted on the front wheel, should be mounted with the arrow pointed in the direction of rotation.

Likewise, a tire marketed by a tire manufacturer as a "rear" tire, when mounted on the rear wheel, should be mounted with the arrow pointed in the direction of rotation.

But, when a "front" tire is mounted on the rear wheel, the arrow should point against the direction of rotation.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
16 Aug 2011 09:59 #469345 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Mounting tires with directional arrows
Why is that? Seems counter-intuitive.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
16 Aug 2011 17:46 #469427 by zed810
Replied by zed810 on topic Mounting tires with directional arrows
yeah thats right we used to do it wiht our race bikes we used front tyres off larger bikes on the rear and turned it round so the direction was facing backwards apparently the done thing as carcass is built a certain way, (front tyres need strenth when braking and rears need the strenth when accelerating) so to turn them round would have the carcass rotating the right way for each axle.

1981 z750e1 gpz 750a1 tank and side panels 810 bore kit web cams mikuni bs34 vance and hines pipe