Complete brake rebuild

More
15 Aug 2011 14:51 - 15 Aug 2011 14:51 #469188 by draboo
Complete brake rebuild was created by draboo
I m ready to start this task with my KZ. I m replacing the seals and dust covers in the calipers and new pads. I m not sure if replacing the pistons in the master cylinders is necessary if they are not leaking.

Anyway, I will be cleaning out the master cylinders and was curious to what method is the best as far as cleaning brake parts. I m thinking of washing everything in a soap and water solution first to get the dirt off, drying, then hitting everything with spray brake cleaner. After this,taking everything to a garage and blow with high pressure air.

Reassembly of the caliper: Do you coat the piston and seal with brake fluid before reassembly? Same with the master cylinder?

Also,I m curious as to what type of fluid to use. DOT 3/4/5? I realize the 5 doesnt mess up paint, but is it as good in the long run?

Thanks for any and all comments on this subject!

Brad

1983 KZ1100D Spectre shaft
Last edit: 15 Aug 2011 14:51 by draboo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2011 23:05 #470514 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Complete brake rebuild
You have to coat the new piston seal with fluid,or the piston won't go in.Dot 5 is silicone based.Use a synthetic DOT 4.Works just as good.Install the dust boot about half way up on the piston BEFORE you put the piston in.Trust me on this one.Make sure you clean the seal groove out really well also.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
27 Aug 2011 19:32 #472198 by draboo
Replied by draboo on topic Complete brake rebuild

havakaw wrote: You have to coat the new piston seal with fluid,or the piston won't go in.Dot 5 is silicone based.Use a synthetic DOT 4.Works just as good.Install the dust boot about half way up on the piston BEFORE you put the piston in.Trust me on this one.Make sure you clean the seal groove out really well also.

Thanks! I have the calipers all back together but am wondering about the rotors. I took them off and cleaned them and am gonna take em in to get them measured/turned. The front ones are in good shape, but the rear I can feel where the pads have been wearing. The front calipers were leaking so bad the pads and rotor were saturated, so the previous owner(s) used the back brake more.

Are these rotors easily turned by any machine shop? Or should I order new ones and wait yet another week to get this job over with?

Thanks again,eh?

Brad

1983 KZ1100D Spectre shaft