Is this a tubeless tire wheel?

More
17 Aug 2011 02:27 #469497 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic Is this a tubeless tire wheel?
I took the front wheel to a local yamaha dealer to get a tube and they even thought you could get by without a tube. I told them that it needed one however. I wonder how many people in the "Business" don't even know the difference between a tubeless rim and a tubed rim?:blink:

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2011 03:06 #469698 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Is this a tubeless tire wheel?
What about drilling the Lester's to run the bead lockers that came on the spoke wheels with a tubeless tire?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
18 Aug 2011 17:37 #469810 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Is this a tubeless tire wheel?

mtbspeedfreak wrote: What about drilling the Lester's to run the bead lockers that came on the spoke wheels with a tubeless tire?

As noted by steell, rim locks prevent a tubed tire from slipping around the rim and dragging the tube with it which rips the valve stem from the tube; and rim locks aren't about holding the tire on the rim.

In other words, running rim locks on Lesters where tires are mounted without tubes might prevent tire slippage around the rim, but won't help much toward preventing the tire from escaping the rim.

See pic below of a wheel with tire slippage being prevented by screws through the rim into the tire bead. Same basic idea as rim locks, but the screws likely also help prevent the tire from escaping the rim.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: