Dyna Coil Mounting Help

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
11 Aug 2011 14:07 #468395 by clutch
Dyna Coil Mounting Help was created by clutch
Hey guys,

I recently had some issues with the ignition. I'm almost certain that the issue was the plug wires, so I ordered new Dyna wires, and a crimping tool from Z1. By mistake, Z1 sent me the wires and a set of green 3 ohm coils. (I let them know and ended up buying the coils too instead of sending them back). Now I have the coils all set up with all wires attached. I went out to the garage today to attach the coils to the mounting brackets, and then the frame, but the stock coil brackets don't quite fit the coils right. :ohmy: I'm sure someone here has run into this problem, so I'm looking for advice how to mount the coils so they won't be in the way of putting the tank back on.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

~Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2011 14:08 #468396 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Dyna Coil Mounting Help
Forgot to mention, this is my '82 kz 750 e3 I'm working on :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
11 Aug 2011 17:41 #468427 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna Coil Mounting Help
Pictures? It will help if we can see the problem. Most Kawasaki ignition coils have spacers in the mounting hardware so the coils will fit. The green Dyna coils being larger in diameter, may require some custom work to get them to fit.

Fairly recently here,someone had similar coil mounting problems, I think he had to have the ignition sparkplug wires laying on top of the valve cover to get the space for the tank.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Aug 2011 00:56 #468529 by clutch
One solution would have been to cut out some of the stock bracket. The one I ended up going with was a few cheap parts at Lowe's (less than $10). I got a set of 4 corner brackets, 4 6 m 1.0 bolts and 4 6 m 1.0 nuts. I tried to take pics tonight, but my battery died in my camera. It's charging now and I will post pics tomorrow :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Aug 2011 14:47 #468614 by clutch
Ok here are some pics of how I fixed the problem:

It's a little blurry, but you can see I used a corner bracket, with the original spacers on the stock bracket

Finished 2/3 side coil install

Added bonus, I used the provided ring terminals on the coil, with a small piece of wire and on this end, you can see I added a male blade terminal to easily connect to the original wiring. This will make removal easy when I need to do so. :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
The following user(s) said Thank You: oilynight

More
12 Aug 2011 15:03 #468619 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna Coil Mounting Help
If it were me, I'd get a spray can of the elctrical contact cleaner preservative "De-Oxit" from Radio Shack or other electronic supply places and spray your coil connections. De-Oxit increases the electrical contact for more efficiencies.

Also if posible, on the coil connections, try to add a strain relief as I can see that vibration and wnd turbulance will have the wiring flexing and moving around, possible breaking a connection, stranding you.

Put a dab of the clear RTV compound on the primary coil connections, this will retain the screws, preventing them from vibrating out, but still allow easy removal.

When I did the green coils on my 1982 GPz1100, I used the weatherpack connections used in modern cars to make up short "Pigtails". This allows me to unplug the coils and not have to deal with the primary connections.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)