OK, let's start with the back tire,...!

• Johnny Thief
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2011 22:29 #467858 by Johnny Thief
OK, let's start with the back tire,...! was created by Johnny Thief
Hey!

I'm getting my 1981 KZ1000K LTD back on the road. I left her in another state with this GIRL, as a token that I was coming back for it,... & her. She rode it all summer long but decided a LDR wasn't her thing, so my boys rescued the bike & hauled it back up north for me. It's sat for almost a year, part of that in the snow, & covered in salt from being towed through the worst blizzard of last year. It's OK, she's pretty ratty as it is, & I like her that way,...

Problem #1, though,... she's had a slow leak in the rear wheel since I bought her in 2009. Of course, after swapping out every hose, cable & filter, I threw a new set of Pirellis on her, so the tires are about as good as you can get for this model. The slow leak meant the tire was half filled for five months. Now that she's at the proper inflation, the tire is rubbing the torque rod.

Is this because the tire is holding a bad shape? Evereything seems tight as hell, doesn't seem to be an adjustment problem. I ran her pretty hard for that first year of ownership with no rear end problems, other than annoyingly filling up my tire from time to time.

Any ideas?

'Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.' Jack London - 1883

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johnny Thief
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2011 22:35 #467861 by Johnny Thief
Replied by Johnny Thief on topic OK, let's start with the back tire,...!
Shot of the poor girl coming home last December!

'Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.' Jack London - 1883
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
09 Aug 2011 10:35 #467978 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic OK, let's start with the back tire,...!
Did you check your chain/sprocket alignment? Maybe your girl tried to adjust/tighten the chain and screwed it up? Because if she only tightened one adjuster, then the tire would move over towards the torque arm. I wouldn't think it was the shape of the tire because if it sat half a year with half inflation then only the part of the tire on the ground could get deformed.