SPECTRE drive shaft issues...Please help

More
08 Aug 2011 18:49 #467786 by 82SPECTRE
SPECTRE drive shaft issues...Please help was created by 82SPECTRE
Does anyone have any experience with lowering a shaft driven bike? I need any info I can get because I cant find much online about the shaft driven bikes.
Does the shaft have to be level?

The reason I ask is because I have a shaft driven bike that is lowered quite a bit with rigid struts instead of the original springs. When you roll the bike, no matter what gear, with the engine off, you get a clunking sound that comes from the rear casing of the transmission where the drive shaft connects to the engine/trans assembly. I'm assuming that the shaft is at a slightly upward angle and is binding somehow. Is there anyway to fix this problem WITHOUT getting longer struts and raising the bike? Has anyone ever run into this problem lowering a shaft driven bike?

1982 KZ 750 N1 SPECTRE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2011 19:22 #467790 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic SPECTRE drive shaft issues...Please help
If possible find the forum member "Zoro" he has a ST with a shaft drive. He might have advice..

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Aug 2011 20:25 #467801 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic SPECTRE drive shaft issues...Please help
Loosen the clamps at the boot, and slide it back to expose the shaft coupling. You may see where the noise is coming from. Or you may have to remove the rear wheel and shaft housing. Somewhere you would most likely see worn joints or if the angle is to much, the Knuckles hitting each other. Operating angles of universal joints normally don't exceed 3 degrees max. Any more and they are generally a high failure Item. That's the standard U-joint cross. Have you ever pulled it and lubed it like explained in the service manual? That's the Bikes shaft, OK? :P

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...