Gas Cap Removal

More
06 Aug 2011 18:58 - 06 Aug 2011 19:14 #467309 by GPZ_1100_KZ
Gas Cap Removal was created by GPZ_1100_KZ
If the locking gas cap on your GPZ malfunctions and will not open, simply tap out the pin that connects the cap to the gas tank and the cap will come off, after the pin is removed, without drilling or further damaging the lock. After searching the web for an answer many times, this solution was within an answer on the KZR forum. Using a 4" inch straight piece from a standard coat hanger as a punch to tap out the pin worked perfectly for my stock 1984 GPZ1100 gas tank. The local locksmith was unable to open/ pick the lock and had no other ideas when asked about using a drill. Turned out the latch that secures the cap to the tank when it is locked/ closed had frozen up and a little penetrating oil freed it up and solved the problem.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2011 19:14 by GPZ_1100_KZ. Reason: added more info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2011 19:02 #467310 by ELCouz
Replied by ELCouz on topic Gas Cap Removal
Big flat screwdriver and a little force always worked for me... however it's destructive ;)!

Anyway, you will need to replace it after all either ways!

HTH,

regards,
laurent

1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
06 Aug 2011 23:51 #467369 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Gas Cap Removal
Even though I have a locking cap on my bike, it always struck me as a funny thing to have. If the crooks want your gas that bad, what stops them from slicing your fuel line, and cracking the petcock open? Seems easier than trying to start a siphon.

Be careful when driving out the pin. Easy to ding your tank, and if the pin hangs, you can bend the tabs on the filler neck easily. Ask me how I know.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
07 Aug 2011 00:13 #467375 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gas Cap Removal

testarossa wrote: Even though I have a locking cap on my bike, it always struck me as a funny thing to have. If the crooks want your gas that bad, what stops them from slicing your fuel line, and cracking the petcock open? Seems easier than trying to start a siphon....

Just guessing, but the locking cap might help discourage a passing vandal from so easily putting some foreign substance into the tank.

Hoping the common everyday thieves never figure out how valuable the side covers are.
Just thinking about it makes me want to run right out and buy some hitch pin clips.

Betcha I'm not the only one who never eats in a restaurant where the bike's not directly in sight while sitting at the table.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Aug 2011 00:27 - 07 Aug 2011 00:28 #467380 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas Cap Removal
[quote="Patton" post=467375...Betcha I'm not the only one who never eats in a restaurant where the bike's not directly in sight while sitting at the table.

Good Fortune! :)[/quote]

There are at least 2 of us like that. ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2011 00:28 by 650ed.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Aug 2011 00:30 #467381 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Gas Cap Removal

Patton wrote:
Just guessing, but the locking cap might help discourage a passing vandal from so easily putting some foreign substance into the tank.

Hoping the common everyday thieves never figure out how valuable the side covers are.
Just thinking about it makes me want to run right out and buy some hitch pin clips.

Betcha I'm not the only one who never eats in a restaurant where the bike's not directly in sight while sitting at the table.

Good Fortune! :)

Passing vandals or my own children.

As for sitting where I can see the bike, one million percent. I feel completely uneasy if I can't keep an eye on the bike. And it's not the only reason that I sit where I can see the parking lot and front door.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN