Bleeding breaks

More
05 Aug 2011 20:36 #467092 by uncledirt
Bleeding breaks was created by uncledirt
Been through the forums and haven't really seen this problem. I've bleed the breaks twice before with no problems. This time, I bled them and started to fill up, the dot 3 will not flow down into the calipers. Pumped, pumped and pumped, ran out of light and the mosquitos were trying to carry me off so I gave up, marked the fluid level on the cylinder and grabbed a beer. Do I have an obstruction? Reason I'm bleeding them in the first place is, recently I moved to South Florida, humid hot and not altogether too cool but, my front has been locking up in the heat. Twice I let some fluid out and it fixed the lockup. I put a little in last time because I drained too much. It locked up again in the heat, I moved it out of the sun and it unlocked. I thought hell with it, it's been 8 months, bleed them again.....moisture in there, etc. Now I can't get the fluid down. Should I take some stuff apart tomorrow if the fluid level is the same? I figure if that's the case, I have a problem in between the master cyclinder and the calipers (obstruction)? Also, I noticed the right side nipple does not drain because the bottom of the nipple doesn't have holes in the stem of the bolt like the left side does. So, technically, unlike the book says I have drained it from the left nipple last few times and it's been a little bit more involved getting the air out but I handled it well in the past with patience. Thanks in advance:)

77 KZ650 'C'

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
05 Aug 2011 21:02 #467102 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic Bleeding breaks
I get a really big syringe, you can buy em at feed stores, take off the needle, and place a piece of aqaurium tubing over the bleeder valve and hook to the syringe have someone start pumping while I start pulling with the homemade vaccum, works for me.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
05 Aug 2011 21:12 #467105 by uncledirt
Replied by uncledirt on topic Bleeding breaks
So, you forgo the thought that there's a block? Do you have a block too?? I'm still thinking based on my past experiences something has changed and I don't like it. How hard was it to get the air out with that procedure? Seems sucking the fluid down to the caliper is messy (more than usual) and innacurate? Just my first thoughts. Seems hard to tell unless you had to drive it around a bit before it seemed to feel right, and how many adjustments sheesh? When it was easy to bleed the breaks it was still a pain in the ass to get the air out. Thanks for the input though, may have to do it :)

77 KZ650 'C'

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
05 Aug 2011 21:19 #467108 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic Bleeding breaks
I doubt you have a block, I would however inspect your caliper, sounds like the sticking is due to dirt or corrosion build up, at the very least clean and inspect your piston, might even rebuild, I learned the hard way, two days of pumping and nothing? got a syringe and did in thirty minutes what i couldnt do in two days.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
05 Aug 2011 21:50 #467117 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bleeding breaks

uncledirt wrote: ...Also, I noticed the right side nipple does not drain because the bottom of the nipple doesn't have holes in the stem of the bolt like the left side does. So, technically, unlike the book says I have drained it from the left nipple last few times and it's been a little bit more involved getting the air out but I handled it well in the past with patience. Thanks in advance:)

Something's wrong. Both caliper bleeders should be identical. If you were unable to push fluid through the right side bleeder that caliper and brake line has never been purged of the old fluid and possibly nasty stuff (including water) that's been in there forever. Not good. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Aug 2011 09:25 #467188 by uncledirt
Replied by uncledirt on topic Bleeding breaks
Ahhh, that's what you want to wake up to......perfect

77 KZ650 'C'