How to safely remove the front master cylinder?

More
31 Jul 2011 12:27 #466012 by grubdog
I have a KZ that was put together from multiple bikes; so it seems. I want to remove the plastic reservoir on my front master cylinder, so that I can put on these mirrors that I bought. I know that 2 screws attach the reservoir to the main body, but there is a screen in the bottom that needs to come out first. How do I get that screen out without damaging it? For identification purposes, the master cylinder reservoir is round, made of plastic, and is quite large.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
31 Jul 2011 20:35 #466072 by TeK9iNe
Im not sure to which you are referring as a screen. Usually you can just detatch the handle/resevior from the bars and let it hang while you do your stuff.

Try using a tiny crochet hook...

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
31 Jul 2011 20:45 #466074 by 650ed
A KZ? Maybe post a picture of it if you're not sure what the MC came from as not all KZ MCs are the same. ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
31 Jul 2011 21:35 #466081 by grubdog
The bike is a 1979 LTD 1000, but the front master cylinder is off of a 1977 A1 (I think). In the picture, it is the plastic bowl that I want to remove; for two reasons 1. I want to screw on my mirror, 2. I am taking the reservoir to a CNC shop and having it reproduced in billet. Inside the plastic bowl, at the bottom, there is a flat, round plastic/screen. This screen prevents me from accessing the attachment screws. I would take a chance normally, but anything having to do with brakes on these old bikes is extremely difficult to find. I just can't figure out how it is attached to the bottom of the reservoir. Oh, by the way, I appreciate the interest in my question, I am a nurse, not a mechanic, but I try to do as much as I can.
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2011 23:17 #466098 by 650ed
I didn't know the reservoir was held on by screws. The one in your picture is similar to the one on my KZ650-C1, but not exactly the same. If you look at the Kawasaki.com parts diagram below you'll see 2 rings between the diaphragm (Part labeled #4) and the MC body. No part number is shown for them, and these are not present on the KZ650-C1 MC. I wonder if one of them is there to represent the screen? In any event I do not see any screws in the diagram that would be used to hold the reservoir to the MC body. Can you see the screws inside your MC? I was under the impression (good chance I'm wrong here) that the plastic reservoir was just held in place by o-rings (which also are not shown in the diagrams or available). I've never pulled mine off the MC body, but maybe someone who has will chime in. Ed

Attachment KZ1000MC.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2011 06:35 #466135 by grubdog
I can see the screws. The trapezoid type master cylinder reservoirs are held on the same way, and the o-ring is underneath. Redline Cycle has the O-rings for it. I guess that I'll take a chance and try to pull it out. Worst case scenario, I'll have to have new parts made, or buy a radial master-cylinder;which would actually be better than the original. Thanks for the help.

More
01 Aug 2011 14:03 #466174 by Patton
Or maybe fit some different style mirrors, designed with a stalk something closer to stock configuration where reservoir removal is unnecessary (as with the majority of aftermarket mirrors).

Is there a pic available of the subject mirrors?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Aug 2011 20:52 #466451 by grubdog
I figured it out, it wasn't a screen...just a plastic baffle. I pulled it out with some needle-nose pliers, installed the mirror; life is good. case closed.