Front Master Cylinder questions

More
19 Jul 2011 18:22 #463809 by Lucid
Front Master Cylinder questions was created by Lucid
I put some cafe straight bars on my 78 KZ650 project, and as others have found, my master cylinder is too big. It works, but it forces installation of the throttle tube to be sticking out and not pushed in all the way.

So I bought a smaller one from a Cycle shop, off of a new suzuki scooter/moped thing. It's about 2/3 the size, and me and the parts guy just kinda figured that a master cylinder is a master cylinder. Problem: It's not pushing the piston hard enough. After bleeding, the brake works at about 30% stopping power, so I haven't ridden it.

Do you think it's:

Needs to be bled more? Maybe there is still air in there, but I went through almost a whole bottle, until the fluid is clean + about 3 MC's full of extra bleeding so it should be done.

Is there too much brake line? Could this cause it, because there seems to be about 6in extra brake line, but I figured hydraulic fluid would push regardless of length.

Is the MC too small? The scooter it came off seemed to weigh at least as much as a KZ650.

Lastly, is there a major difference between a single disc MC and a dual disc? My KZ is single, but I didn't check the moped to see if it was dual, but that shouldn't matter?

I'm leaning toward it maybe being too small, but I have seen others with pretty small MC's so who knows.

Any input? I'd hate to try to take it back. It looks great on there.:huh:

78 KZ650B Cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2011 18:31 #463812 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front Master Cylinder questions
Ah yes, one little change (like handlebars) leads to another.... Master cylinders (MC) are matched to the brake system they control. Different MCs have different volume and flow characteristics. Even the same brand bikes (i.e. KZ650) used different MCs depending on whether they had single or dual disks. You need to find one that moves the same volume of brake fluid per squeeze of the lever as your original. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
19 Jul 2011 21:59 #463839 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Front Master Cylinder questions
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis should work for your bike but you need to verify the bar clamp will work with your bar size and the angle of the reservoir is not going to be an issue;

The seller has others for sale and the yhave different lengths and angles so check them out as well first.

I one like this on Bad Juju (superbike bar though) for 4 years without an issue.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
20 Jul 2011 00:25 #463857 by Lucid
Replied by Lucid on topic Front Master Cylinder questions
So the dual caliper thing isn't an issue? (that one is made for dual, but I guess you're using it with one disc brake?

Good to know.

But that one looks like it's almost the same size as the stock one. Is it much smaller?

78 KZ650B Cafe