Rear Wheel Alignment and Axle Spacers

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2011 01:15 #457942 by lobstermobster
Rear Wheel Alignment and Axle Spacers was created by lobstermobster
Ill try to make this short and sweet.
Got my 81kz650 hardtailed. To see about how much farther apart my axle plates are now i set my swing arm up against my new rear end(pic 1)

In Pic2 you can see that outside with is the same, but due to skinnier plates there is about a millimeter width more than before.

So I grabbed the one and only rear axle spacer I have, and mocked it up plus a millimeter gap for the added with (Pic 3)

<<Camera Died at this point>>

I looked at the parts diagram for my bike, and that spacer is the only one for the right side, So by putting that there (plus a millimeter more) my rear wheel should be centered(PLEASE CORRECT IF WRONG). With that said, I still have about an inch (if I had to guess) space between my rear wheel and the axle plate on the left (drive) side. The spacer I was using in the pics above is the only one I have. so my question is What spacer goes on that side??? does Z1 have one I can order. I tried looking at the parts diagram, but it was kind of confusing because it included the sprocket, hub, drum innards too and Im dumb.

Any help is much appreciated.

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2011 12:46 - 15 Feb 2013 10:15 #458010 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 15 Feb 2013 10:15 by martin_csr.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Jun 2011 13:30 - 18 Jun 2011 15:10 #458017 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Rear Wheel Alignment and Axle Spacers
the 3 most important things to have right when u are done, are.
Do these in order.
1. the rear axle must be paralell to the swingarm axle. measure the distance between these 2 axles on both sides as acuratly as posible. set the adjusters to make them measure the same on both sides.
2. the front and rear wheels must be aligned run a straght edge against the rear wheel , on both sides, from the rear to front wheel. the front wheel should be in the center of the 2 straight edges. if not, then move the rear wheel and or the swing arm untill it is. u can get away with as much as 1/4" out, if u are not a racer. this can also be done with string.

3. the front and rear sprockets must be in line. after doing # 1 ,2 check #3 with a straight edge.
u may need to modify the stock spacers to get the sprockets in line.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 18 Jun 2011 15:10 by mark1122.

More
18 Jun 2011 13:32 #458018 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rear Wheel Alignment and Axle Spacers
When fitting the rear wheel ---

Counter-shaft and drive sprockets should be in the same geometric plane.
In other words, in perfect alignment for the chain.
That's a critical factor imo.

The front and rear wheels should be running in the same direction, but not necessarily in the same geometric plane.
Parallel center lines are okay, without need for the rear tire center line to overlay the front tire's center line.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2011 22:53 #458097 by lobstermobster
Replied by lobstermobster on topic Rear Wheel Alignment and Axle Spacers
yes I know how important alignment is. but my question still remains. Is there a stock spacer part that goes on the sprocket side of the axle. Because even though my new rear end is a tad wider, even if i make up for that new width there is still room on the left side and no spacer in my bag of parts to go there.

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor

More
19 Jun 2011 00:15 #458120 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Rear Wheel Alignment and Axle Spacers
the 2 you show is all there is 1 fits in the cush drive on the bearing the other looks like a thread spool you just need to add more to either 1 or both to fill in the difference and align

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.