Lowering my bike

• stablechaser35
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2011 05:39 #457369 by stablechaser35
Replied by stablechaser35 on topic Lowering my bike
[/quote] Than I would just trade it for a LTD or CSR stile bike. The seat is quite a bit lower on those.[/quote]

If I could find someone willing to do that, it would be done with a quickness.. lol...

"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was"... yeah right... don't have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I'm just here...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Jun 2011 06:15 #457371 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Lowering my bike

otakar wrote:

kawasakispeedin wrote: i have a 1980 KZ1000 and i lowered the front end about 2 inches by using a set of woodcraft clip-on's and droping the front forks 2inches. all these people say the bike handles worse after lowering it but as far as my bike goes they are wrong! it handles way better! i did have an issue once or twice where i scrapped my exhaust on sharp right hand turns... but i raised up the rear end a 1/2 inch with longer zephyr shocks and solved that problem. my bike takes turns and corners with no problem and is stable at all speeds.

Attachment newshocks.jpg not found

Lowering just the front end actually increases your handling rake. On these bikes that is good as long as you reinforce the front of the frame. But lowering the ass end is not such a good idea.

lowering just the rear has same affect as raking frontend,handles better at high speed in straight line but slows steering.
lowering front more than rear makes steering quicker but id definately suggest a steering dampner to help avoid a sudden suprise tank slapper. B) (ask me how i know this! :sick: :woohoo: )

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
15 Jun 2011 09:22 #457389 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Lowering my bike
Wireman wrote
Lowering just the front end actually increases your handling rake. On these bikes that is good as long as you reinforce the front of the frame. But lowering the ass end is not such a good idea.[/quote]lowering just the rear has same affect as raking frontend,handles better at high speed in straight line but slows steering.
lowering front more than rear makes steering quicker but id definately suggest a steering dampner to help avoid a sudden suprise tank slapper. B) (ask me how i know this! :sick: :woohoo: )[/quote]

See this is what I mean. This makes sense. I had a couple bikes with quick steering and yes they were prone to doing squirrely things. But when right they were handling machines. Still riding on that edge I figure either I should be nuts or somebody should be paying me. Maybe both. Good advice to get a dampner if you are redoing the geometry on a bike and a fork brace too. One thing still does confuse me tho. Lowering the rear makes it handle better in a straight line? Handle better in a straight line I cannot get my head around. Care to expand on that please?
Same thing with bobbers. Loves me a nice looking Bobjob but the hardtail hurts my back just looking at one and I wonder at the geometry change. Then too a lot of them I see have like 16 inch ape hangers on them so I guess they are not going for handling anyway. I do kinda like it when I call for a course change the bike agrees and doesn't try and buck me off. Call me crazy. Some things just make sense and somethings.......

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
15 Jun 2011 11:19 #457405 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Lowering my bike
How about his instead of lowering your bike:

kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/456323-1980-ltd1000-for-sale

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• stablechaser35
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2011 11:50 - 15 Jun 2011 11:52 #457409 by stablechaser35
Replied by stablechaser35 on topic Lowering my bike
I would love that bike... getting mine sold and that one being 1200 miles away are a couple of problems I would have to figure out first tho... lol...

"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was"... yeah right... don't have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I'm just here...
Last edit: 15 Jun 2011 11:52 by stablechaser35.

More
15 Jun 2011 14:40 #457423 by Rampage1967
Replied by Rampage1967 on topic Lowering my bike

Proxy wrote: Wireman wrote
Lowering just the front end actually increases your handling rake. On these bikes that is good as long as you reinforce the front of the frame. But lowering the ass end is not such a good idea.

lowering just the rear has same affect as raking frontend,handles better at high speed in straight line but slows steering.
lowering front more than rear makes steering quicker but id definately suggest a steering dampner to help avoid a sudden suprise tank slapper. B) (ask me how i know this! :sick: :woohoo: )[/quote]

One thing still does confuse me tho. Lowering the rear makes it handle better in a straight line? Handle better in a straight line I cannot get my head around. Care to expand on that please?.[/quote]

What lowering the rear & the resultant increase in rake does is to make the bike more stable in a straight line. They also are less responsive to turning.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C1??
1974 Honda CB 360

More
15 Jun 2011 15:54 #457433 by kawasakispeedin
Replied by kawasakispeedin on topic Lowering my bike
WIREMAN...

I completely agree with you and actually am in the market for a steering dampener! so if you know of one at a good deal please feel free to let me know! :)

-1980 Kz1000 ltd (current)
-1993 Suzuki GSX600F

-2006 ZZR600 (past)
-1981 GPz550 (past)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Jun 2011 19:21 #457472 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Lowering my bike

Proxy wrote: Wireman wrote

See this is what I mean. This makes sense. I had a couple bikes with quick steering and yes they were prone to doing squirrely things. But when right they were handling machines. Still riding on that edge I figure either I should be nuts or somebody should be paying me. Maybe both. Good advice to get a dampner if you are redoing the geometry on a bike and a fork brace too. One thing still does confuse me tho. Lowering the rear makes it handle better in a straight line? Handle better in a straight line I cannot get my head around. Care to expand on that please?
Same thing with bobbers. Loves me a nice looking Bobjob but the hardtail hurts my back just looking at one and I wonder at the geometry change. Then too a lot of them I see have like 16 inch ape hangers on them so I guess they are not going for handling anyway. I do kinda like it when I call for a course change the bike agrees and doesn't try and buck me off. Call me crazy. Some things just make sense and somethings.......[/quote]looks like you combined mine and ottos posts! :laugh:
anyway lowering just the rear of bike has basically same affect as raking the frame to a certain degree,it kicks forks/front wheel out at more of an angle which makes bike more stable going in straight line.the more rake in the frontend the more it wants to go straight,if youve ever ridden an early 80s gs1100 suzuki vs a kz 900/1000 youll notice the suzuki is a lot more stable at high speeds in a straight line compared to the kz.
try laying the same suzuki into a hard corner at a good clip and youll come out the other end of the corner with a whole new outlook on life! :sick: :woohoo:
the suzuki takes a line and follows it ,whether or not its the line you want it to take.
on my old gs1100 i actually lowered the front end and left the rear high just so the stupid thing would corner slightly better than a fast moving overloaded coal train running out of control! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
15 Jun 2011 20:43 #457490 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Lowering my bike
130 in the rear (not sure what the height aspect is compared to a 120), lowered about an inch in the trees, progressive spring in the forks... result turns in quick but no clearance issues on the shaft model. Have done the ton with it and no odd behavior, the 130 doesn't like rocks in the corners but then again neither do I! :side:

Thinking about a custom fork brace for it and rebuilding a set of Marzocchi's I have for the rear. Probably go back to the 120 on the rear next time, isn't pinched but the extreme roll-up when pitched over combined with the shaft-jack effect gets a little exciting sometimes. Like all mods, try to leave yourself an out so as to return it to the way it was if the result is the bike becomes wild weasel ride.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)