Lowering my bike

• stablechaser35
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2011 01:12 #457144 by stablechaser35
Lowering my bike was created by stablechaser35
I want to lower my 78 KZ1000 about 2 inches... I'm looking at shorter forks and a longer swingarm capable of holding a slightly wider, yet shorter tire to accomplish this... Am I on the right track or has my ass completely fallen off?? lol... pics are as the bike sits now obviously... thanks for any input

James

"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was"... yeah right... don't have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I'm just here...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2011 02:12 #457157 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Lowering my bike
Have you tried getting some shorter shocks? That's my plan. This is where I'm looking.
www.partsnmore.com/parts/kawasaki/kz1000/?filters [category]=chassis&filters[model]=kz1000
Shock Absorber Set (290mm)
#06-3608
(it's about a 1/4 of the way down)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• stablechaser35
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2011 08:55 #457185 by stablechaser35
Replied by stablechaser35 on topic Lowering my bike

Chaotic Reason wrote: Have you tried getting some shorter shocks? That's my plan. This is where I'm looking.
www.partsnmore.com/parts/kawasaki/kz1000/?filters [category]=chassis&filters[model]=kz1000
Shock Absorber Set (290mm)
#06-3608
(it's about a 1/4 of the way down)

I guess that would deal with the back lowering... I really did want a slightly wider tire on the back though, might do that and a swingarm that allows wider tire but isn't any longer... thanks

"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was"... yeah right... don't have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I'm just here...

More
14 Jun 2011 09:01 #457187 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Lowering my bike
Why don't you just drop your front forks? This way it is completely reversible, when you find out that your bike no longer wants to handle the way it did before. :blink: :unsure: :whistle: You can get new lower shocks from Progressive suspensions. They are hi quality and they won't brake the bank.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• stablechaser35
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2011 09:25 #457192 by stablechaser35

otakar wrote: Why don't you just drop your front forks? This way it is completely reversible, when you find out that your bike no longer wants to handle the way it did before. :blink: :unsure: :whistle: You can get new lower shocks from Progressive suspensions. They are hi quality and they won't brake the bank.

That was my next move, to figure out the front end also... I don't race or really ride fast anywhere so extreme handling isn't an issue for me... I want to lower the front and the rear but just trying to figure out the best application for the money before I start tearing into it, ya know?? thanks

James

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
14 Jun 2011 09:52 #457199 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Lowering my bike
Just wondering...why would you want to reduce cornering clearance or change the way a bike handles? I truly don't get it. These things are dangerous enough. It's one thing to make them perform and handle better. That I can understand. I just don't get the "I want it to look a different way and if performance or safety suffers so be it." mentality. Is it they never been hurt bad? Never made the wrong decision and had to pay for it? I guess it's like choppers. Hell, I can look at choppers and think wow that is nice and look at that work and thought that went into that bike, but it never crosses my mind that I'd like to ride it on the road. Maybe it takes dying twice, compound fracturing your tibia and breaking your back in 2 places along with many other nasties to see my point of view. hey it's your bikes and your lives I just wish I could still understand it. Maybe I did once and forgot. Thank god I forgot. Carry on...I'm just kevetching :whistle:

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
14 Jun 2011 10:05 #457202 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Lowering my bike
The widest I could put on mine, without doing major mods, was a 130. But mine's a shaft, so it might've given me a bit more clearance than a chain.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
14 Jun 2011 10:33 - 14 Jun 2011 10:34 #457206 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Lowering my bike
You could put a suzuki gs1100e swingarm on it and schnitzracing.com has lowering tubes for around $15 for the front. I lowered my 78 about 1 1/2 inches years ago and the first time I turned a little quick to the right the exhaust scraped and I about ruined my underpants.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 10:34 by donthekawguy.

More
14 Jun 2011 11:22 #457214 by kawasakispeedin
Replied by kawasakispeedin on topic Lowering my bike
i have a 1980 KZ1000 and i lowered the front end about 2 inches by using a set of woodcraft clip-on's and droping the front forks 2inches. all these people say the bike handles worse after lowering it but as far as my bike goes they are wrong! it handles way better! i did have an issue once or twice where i scrapped my exhaust on sharp right hand turns... but i raised up the rear end a 1/2 inch with longer zephyr shocks and solved that problem. my bike takes turns and corners with no problem and is stable at all speeds.

Attachment newshocks.jpg not found

-1980 Kz1000 ltd (current)
-1993 Suzuki GSX600F

-2006 ZZR600 (past)
-1981 GPz550 (past)
Attachments:

• stablechaser35
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2011 13:36 - 14 Jun 2011 13:42 #457237 by stablechaser35

Proxy wrote: Just wondering...why would you want to reduce cornering clearance or change the way a bike handles? I truly don't get it. These things are dangerous enough. It's one thing to make them perform and handle better. That I can understand. I just don't get the "I want it to look a different way and if performance or safety suffers so be it." mentality. Is it they never been hurt bad? Never made the wrong decision and had to pay for it? I guess it's like choppers. Hell, I can look at choppers and think wow that is nice and look at that work and thought that went into that bike, but it never crosses my mind that I'd like to ride it on the road. Maybe it takes dying twice, compound fracturing your tibia and breaking your back in 2 places along with many other nasties to see my point of view. hey it's your bikes and your lives I just wish I could still understand it. Maybe I did once and forgot. Thank god I forgot. Carry on...I'm just kevetching :whistle:

I am sorry, I failed to expand on the reason I want to lower the bike... I'm 5'9" and when I'm on the bike in it's current stature, I am on the balls of my feet when I come to a stop... I need to lower it so I can flat foot when I am stopped...

I know, I know, why didn't I just buy a smaller or shorter bike in the first place. Well, there wasn't a 450-600cc bike available in my price range when I was buying, and I liked this bike, always have like KZs...

Now, if you have a bike to trade for mine, know someone that has a bike to trade for mine, or are willing to buy my bike so I can hunt down, find and buy a 450-600cc bike, then please let me know, maybe we can work something out. 99% of my riding is done straight up, not leaned over diving through corners or racing... I ride my wife's bike, which is much lower than what I am attempting to get the KZ down to and I haven't scraped anything on it yet.

Attachment mymotorcycle002.JPG not found

Honestly, if I could find someone to buy the KZ or trade me for a smaller (shorter) bike, I would probably do it. Oh, and my back has been broken in 14 different spots (neck too), and when I was a much younger, "braver" man, I was skydiving frow 10,000 ft and my chute failed to open. Thank God for the corn field I hit. It was the day before harvest. I flatlined 3 times on that helicopter trip and 2 times about 2 years later when I skipped the front tire of a 88 Hurricane 1000 off a f'n turtle crossing I26 in SC at 3am... nevemind how fast I was going when I hit said turtle, so I do get that mindset from you.

James

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 13:42 by stablechaser35. Reason: misspelled a word

More
14 Jun 2011 15:01 #457256 by otakar

kawasakispeedin wrote: i have a 1980 KZ1000 and i lowered the front end about 2 inches by using a set of woodcraft clip-on's and droping the front forks 2inches. all these people say the bike handles worse after lowering it but as far as my bike goes they are wrong! it handles way better! i did have an issue once or twice where i scrapped my exhaust on sharp right hand turns... but i raised up the rear end a 1/2 inch with longer zephyr shocks and solved that problem. my bike takes turns and corners with no problem and is stable at all speeds.

Attachment newshocks.jpg not found

Lowering just the front end actually increases your handling rake. On these bikes that is good as long as you reinforce the front of the frame. But lowering the ass end is not such a good idea.

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

More
14 Jun 2011 15:02 #457257 by otakar

stablechaser35 wrote:

Proxy wrote: Just wondering...why would you want to reduce cornering clearance or change the way a bike handles? I truly don't get it. These things are dangerous enough. It's one thing to make them perform and handle better. That I can understand. I just don't get the "I want it to look a different way and if performance or safety suffers so be it." mentality. Is it they never been hurt bad? Never made the wrong decision and had to pay for it? I guess it's like choppers. Hell, I can look at choppers and think wow that is nice and look at that work and thought that went into that bike, but it never crosses my mind that I'd like to ride it on the road. Maybe it takes dying twice, compound fracturing your tibia and breaking your back in 2 places along with many other nasties to see my point of view. hey it's your bikes and your lives I just wish I could still understand it. Maybe I did once and forgot. Thank god I forgot. Carry on...I'm just kevetching :whistle:

I am sorry, I failed to expand on the reason I want to lower the bike... I'm 5'9" and when I'm on the bike in it's current stature, I am on the balls of my feet when I come to a stop... I need to lower it so I can flat foot when I am stopped...

I know, I know, why didn't I just buy a smaller or shorter bike in the first place. Well, there wasn't a 450-600cc bike available in my price range when I was buying, and I liked this bike, always have like KZs...

Now, if you have a bike to trade for mine, know someone that has a bike to trade for mine, or are willing to buy my bike so I can hunt down, find and buy a 450-600cc bike, then please let me know, maybe we can work something out. 99% of my riding is done straight up, not leaned over diving through corners or racing... I ride my wife's bike, which is much lower than what I am attempting to get the KZ down to and I haven't scraped anything on it yet.

Attachment mymotorcycle002.JPG not found

Honestly, if I could find someone to buy the KZ or trade me for a smaller (shorter) bike, I would probably do it. Oh, and my back has been broken in 14 different spots (neck too), and when I was a much younger, "braver" man, I was skydiving frow 10,000 ft and my chute failed to open. Thank God for the corn field I hit. It was the day before harvest. I flatlined 3 times on that helicopter trip and 2 times about 2 years later when I skipped the front tire of a 88 Hurricane 1000 off a f'n turtle crossing I26 in SC at 3am... nevemind how fast I was going when I hit said turtle, so I do get that mindset from you.

James

Than I would just trade it for a LTD or CSR stile bike. The seat is quite a bit lower on those.

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000