New Member/rider with weird issue/could be custom

More
02 Jun 2011 01:52 - 02 Jun 2011 01:54 #454915 by Mandyrew
Hiya,

the WEIRDEST thing just happend with my new (to me) bike, kz440 ltd, 1981 ...

so i take the license plate off to put on my new tags ... then the pieces I took the plate from don't match the size of the plate when I go to put it back on ... then i realize the metal L-shaped metal pieces are inches from the back tire ... so weird because they don't bend and it's just twilight zone that i can't get the plate back on.

I've looked around a lot, and I'm feeling pretty sure that the back fender and breaklight is a custom job ... nothing else seems to look the same ...

this is really embarrassing, but then again this puppy is my first bike ever and i've had it 24 hours. I took a video of the weirdness and posted it on youtube. I mean, i can replace a license plate. ... This is just too weird for words ...

here's the link:

KZ440 LTD '81
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 01:54 by Mandyrew. Reason: cut/past error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2011 02:03 #454917 by MFolks
Were the brackets under strees when the plate was removed? No "Twang" as the bolts came out? Looks like to me the plate doubled as a mud guard being so close to the tire. The worst you can do is fabricate new brackets for the plate. There's a talented metal worker "Black Banshee" who might be able to help you.

I'd also check the local laws regarding the blue dot in your rear stop/running light. You might get pulled over as supposedly only law enforcement had blue lights on the rear of their bikes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 Jun 2011 12:47 #454959 by Mandyrew
Thanks so much for your input! This thing is just so weird. I took the plate off with no problem, didn't detect any stress or resistance, certainly not to the proportion necessary to get the plate in those brackets.

And thanks for the heads up about that tail light. the dot in the middle isn't a blue light, it's just black rubber, on top of the fastening bolt for the light, i'm assuming.

KZ440 LTD '81

More
02 Jun 2011 13:04 #454963 by MFolks
If you want to use the existing brackets, I don't think your state would mind drilling/punching new holes in the license plate. If it were me, I'd make a template out of thin, stiff cardboard so the hole centers would line up.

I've used manila folders for this in the past at different places I worked at.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 Jun 2011 19:12 #455025 by btchalice
those are obviously home made brackets i would just bend them to fit
and i think mfolks is right that does look like the blue dots hotrodders use in the taillights . turn on your lights and stand behind it

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.