Sealed VS open bearings Z1B

More
29 May 2011 16:36 - 29 May 2011 16:40 #454203 by luc
Sealed VS open bearings Z1B was created by luc
I just finished installing the needles bearings on my swingarm ( you MUST loosen the upper rear engine mount otherwise there is not enough clearance between the frame) and noticed the my chain carrier had quite a lot of play, not forward/backard which is normal, but rather sideway.
I decided to replace the bearing ( a very common # 6206) but went with a sealed type instead of the open type that was in it.
Do you see any issue with that?
Last edit: 29 May 2011 16:40 by luc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2011 22:02 #454242 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Sealed VS open bearings Z1B
You should be just fine. I would probably do the same thing that you did also.

1981 KZ550-D1

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 May 2011 02:10 #454299 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Sealed VS open bearings Z1B
are you saying the carrier was moving from left side of bike to right side?
im not sure if a bearing would allow movement in that diection unless the inner race of bearing where it rides on axle was completely destroyed.
did you check the rubber cush drive for wear?id also check wheel spacers to make sure they were right B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
30 May 2011 11:19 #454315 by luc
Replied by luc on topic Sealed VS open bearings Z1B

wireman wrote: are you saying the carrier was moving from left side of bike to right side?
im not sure if a bearing would allow movement in that diection unless the inner race of bearing where it rides on axle was completely destroyed.
did you check the rubber cush drive for wear?id also check wheel spacers to make sure they were right B)

No, the play in the carrier was not left to right but you could push the top to the right and the bottom will move to the left ( or vice-versa)
I changed the bearing and all is good now.
Any idea why Kawasaki used open instead of sealed bearing on both axles?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 May 2011 17:08 #454359 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Sealed VS open bearings Z1B
it was a cost issue origionally would be my guess,if the unsealed bearing were lets say a $1.00 less for each ,multiply that by a half million bearings and you get a big chunk of overhead :ohmy:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.