ooops

More
25 May 2011 00:55 - 25 May 2011 00:57 #453413 by 82KZ305Belt
ooops was created by 82KZ305Belt
I'm putting on my first chain myself. I read to be very careful and not cut the chain too short, cause that sure sucks. So I was very careful, I measured one two three four five times. Good boy. Only thing is, I didn't really pay attention to where I was shortening it, and I'm left with a roller on one end and just the outer plates on the other, and it appears the master link needs 2 rollers to connect. So I appear to be one link short-or maybe its a half link, I'm really not sure about any of this yet. But I'm short. :blush: Fortunately its a cheapo chain, just in case of this sort of happening.

Whats my best solution? New chain? Half link? I happen to have 2 master links, so I could use one to reattach the piece I cut off and the other to close the circle (after breaking it at the right spot this time). But I'm guessing having 2 master links isnt desirable, even on a small cc machine like mine (305)
Last edit: 25 May 2011 00:57 by 82KZ305Belt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 May 2011 01:43 #453419 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic ooops
its not a major high horsepower bike,id try the 2 master links and piece it back together since its a brand new chain.
youve got nothing to lose B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
25 May 2011 10:00 #453453 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic ooops
Is this the missing link story? :laugh: Sorry it's not funny. I think maybe I'd get two rivet style master links and use them or at least one rivet and once c-clip one. Not sure if I'd use 2-c clip. ones. I made a nice chain riveter using a c-clamp and a pipe flaring tool. Makes chain riveting a breeze.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
25 May 2011 10:24 - 25 May 2011 10:25 #453457 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic ooops
Any chain I broke wasn't at the master link. I'd just run two clip links and call it a day.

I change chains all the time, I just lay both chains on the floor and line up the links. No need to count or measure.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 25 May 2011 10:25 by Kidkawie.

More
25 May 2011 11:44 #453469 by 82KZ305Belt
Replied by 82KZ305Belt on topic ooops
I'm converting a belt drive so there's nothing to measure except my mistakes, and those are immeasurable. :laugh:

I consider this to be a test anyway. I dont have much desire to need for a dedicated rivet tool but I do have a Harbor freight chainbreaker which supposedly can be used to rivet. I'll just use the 2 master links to see if this conversion works, then I'll either rivet one or get a better chain and keep this for spare.

I'm still not exactly sure how long to make this, but I think I'll make it one link longer than the shortest I think will work, then see if that's too long. I could make it snug with the wheel all the way forward, but adding one more link seems to introduce a lot of slop. But I dont want to go too short again!

More
25 May 2011 16:44 #453513 by LewisKZ
Replied by LewisKZ on topic ooops
Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to ditch the belt? I really like mine, its maint free, good low torque, lasts forever, and less mess in general... i'm really surprised the belt hasnt gotten more traction in the bike market.

---
1981 KZ440 LTD D2

More
25 May 2011 17:19 #453520 by 82KZ305Belt
Replied by 82KZ305Belt on topic ooops
Last time i checked there were 3 used belts available on the planet, and I didn't like the look of any. New ones are $350+, and they are still 25-30 year old rubber. I dont use 25 year old belts anywhere else....Its an experiment; i can always go back if I find good belts somewhere but they aren't getting more common.